We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

Just wanted to say thanks for the info I got from here it was really helpful. My friends and I had an awesome time! I want to share some of my tips for those going soon.

1. Watch the weight you pack in both bags (check in and cary on) Its slightly smaller amount if you do the air transfer from Papeet to Bora Bora. This was not listed in any of my paper work. Had to pay a $45 fee for extra weight.

2. Don't over pack!!! Take the lightest weight/ thin clothing possible. Only take 1 pair of jeans for trip home. Its so humid you are wet as soon as walk outside. Take 1 pair flip flops and one light weight walking/hiking shoe. You will end up wearing the same comfy clothing over and over. Just wash them out in the ocean and hang dry in room.

3. Reapply your sunscreen constantly. Because of the humidity you sweat it off constantly. Take some solarcane or after sun medicated aloe gel you will need it.

4. Take your 2 bottle limit of alcohol in your check in as drinks are extremely expensive (yummy) but expensive. Have a party with your neighbors. We met plenty of fun groups around us.

5. If there are more than 2 of you expect them to wonder how to set a table for 4 or more. Give extra time.

6. Shop at Chi Lee's market on Bora Bora island. The meat, bread and cheese are all fresh and very tasty. Make sure to buy fruit from the local stands. Also buy gifts from the markets much cheaper.

7. Don't expect top top notch. While we stayed at Le Meridian bora bora and the food was better than that in Tahiti don't get your hopes up. The buffett at the Le Meridian was exellent as well as ala carte. The food was always good and good size but not 5 stars. Remember you aren't there for the food!

Very Important********

Go with the flow allow extra time for stuff and don't be in a stuffy rush. You are there to relax and enjoy your friends and family and yourself. Expect to pay more for items since just about everything is imported. HAVE FUN!

8. Cary cash. Not all places take plastic.

9. Visit Bloody Mary's if you like hanging out at your "local bar".

10. Take the 1/2 day island 4x4 tour, snorkeling tour with shark and ray feeding.

11. Get an underwater camera for swimming, you will use it.

12. Have a great attitude and have a great time!

I will post a detailed report of our stay later. We had 4 days in Bora Bora and 2 in Tahiti. Stay longer in Bora Bora I could have stayed for 7 days or longer. Loved it better than Tahiti personally speaking.

Feel free to ask questions. Just not about specific resorts unless its Le Meridian.

Mentioned in this post
Tahiti
Tahiti
Society Islands, French Polynesia
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

Thanks for the tips! Look forward to your detailed report.

Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

I have a question for you... Does Le Meridien provide beach towels and a hair dryer? Leaving Tuesday!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

Thanks for some helpful tips here!! We're off in 2.5 weeks time for 11 days at IC Thalasso, can't wait....

Just a quick question or two, did you get your cash whilst over there? Approx how much do you think is a good amount, we're mainly relying on c/cards.

We're planning on going to the market on BB to get cheaper food for snacks and alcohol, do they take cards or cash only?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

The big market Chin Lee's takes credit cards but much easier to deal with cash and save the cc's for big purchases. I took $800 USD (for 7 days) and exchanged them at the exchange counter at LAX before we boarded our plane to Papeet. There are plenty of banks but this was easy and convenient. I am sure they will have it in Sydney as well. Not every place takes cc's so take about $100 a day for cash not sure what that translates into Aussie money. I payed cash for everything except the rooms, tours and pearls. And taxi's don't take cc's.

And yes Le Meridien does have hair dryers (good ones) and beech towels. With the towels there was a bit of a shortage while there so get one and hold on to it for as long as you can before it gets dirty. You can also get adapter plugs at the registration desk. Registration wasn't too bad they did show you where everything was, gave you a nice cool towel and some fresh juice while you fill out your paperwork. Took maybe an hour at the most. One of our rooms wasn't ready but they did have a changing/shower facility where they hold the luggage that you can change in. Everyone working there is very pleasant and genuinely happy to help you. They all speak english (not the case in Tahiti we noticed). The buffets were good especially the breakfast buffets. I have an extremely sensitive stomach and had no issues with the food and I also drank the tap water no problems what so ever. The fruit juices are amazing!

Have a great trip! I know I did.

Mentioned in this post
Le Meridien Bora Bora
Le Meridien Bora Bora
2,788 Reviews
Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Tahiti
Tahiti
Society Islands, French Polynesia
San Diego...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

Great tips..I am very grateful, as it will be a first trip there.

6. Re: Had an awesome time in Bora Bora!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:42