We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money or credit cards

Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Money or credit cards

Getting ready to go and found out that all my credit card companies are going to cahrge me 3% for every transaction down there. What are your feelings about travelers checks? also where do you exchange money. What is a US dollar worth down there in comparison to the Franc? Thanks

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
233 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money or credit cards

Hi there,

Travelers cheques are handy indeed.

You could exchange money in Papeete at the airport or the banque de polynésie in Papeete Center.

You will get 100 pacific francs for $ 1, quite easy to remember.

Hope that helps.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money or credit cards

We just got back last week so I think the rates will be about the same now. $1 to 100 francs. I brought $500 in cash, exchanged it at the hotel and the exchange rate was identical as the airport banque. Mostly we just used credit cards...the only time I used any cash was at the Papeete market place and for an occasional ice cream or treat of some sort. It was virtually a credit-card trip and very convenient.

Susan :)

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Money or credit cards

OOOPs...P.S. I called my credit card company ahead of time and because I have been with them for so long, they waived the 3% exchange fee...so you might try that. I'm with Chase.

Susan :)

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money or credit cards

We found mastercard and visa were most widely accepted, though some places took amex too. Not sure about fees.

Sounds like other folks got a great exchange rate - we had to change travellers checks at the hotel (because our bank cards didn't work) and we only got 880 francs per $100. Maybe the airport had better rates...

Boynton Beach...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Money or credit cards

I took travelers cheques and found them to be a little cumbersome. If you are in a hotel most of the charges are billed to your room. As far as money exchange it depends where you stay. Our dollar is less then their franc and the rate chanes. I used credit card anyway, exchanged money at one bank after being told by a different bank the rate was better at that bank. I exchanged money in a hotel in Tahiti. It is good to have francs on you for easy, small transactions. Credit card is so much easier for bigger purchases! So I think a balance of all three was very useful for me!