We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

For those who've been to at least two of these places, whose natural beauty you've found the most striking?

Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

In other words, which one took your breath away the most?

Thanks.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You could ask 3 people and get 3 different answers. And "most striking"?.. in reference to what? The water? the landscape? The Maldives are just little spits of sand...so they are not going to have the same kind of mountainous beauty as the back drop of the volcanic peak of Otemanu on Bora Bora. And yet the water is amazing in the Maldives.....yet it probably can't match the endless variety of shades of blue found in the Bora Bora lagoon. And then throw the Seychelles into the mix and it is truly impossible to declare one as the "most" beautiful. They will ALL likely take your breath away.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

I've been to Moorea and the Maldives. I guess my first question would be, underwater or above? If underwater, the Maldives would be my pick. If above water, Moorea hands down.

The Maldives are very much like the Tuamotus in topography, except that they have powdery, soft white sand (as opposed to sharp crushed coral).

I haven't yet been to the Seychelles, but that gorgeous beach with the boulders on Praslin looks quite amazing.

I agree with Patti that it would be difficult to call one or the other the "most beautiful".

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

I've been to the Seychelles and Bora Bora. The Seychelles are stunning but a bit samey. Whereas in Bora Bora, the island and lagoon look different from every angle and the Polynesian islands are scenically more varied than the islands of the Seychelles. I also found the culture in Polynesia a lot more interesting than in the Seychelles. The people also seemed more welcoming. I am going back for the 3rd time this year and I normally don't visit anywhere twice.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,073 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

I've been to the Seychelles (Praslin, Mahe, and La Digue), as well as Moorea and Tahaa. We are headed to Bora Bora and the Tuamotus in two weeks.

I can't agree with the poster who says the Seychelles are "samey" or not as diverse scenery wise as French Polynesia. The Seychelles above water are as beautiful as FP, IMO, but different, with the huge granite boulders and cliffs, glaringly white beaches, and stunning inner jungles. Underwater, however, FP wins. I did extensive diving and snorkeling both places and without a doubt Tahiti was better. I've never been, but I've heard from people I trust that the Maldives beat both places hands down underwater.

With regard to culture, I find both the Seychellois and Tahitians fascinating. The local food is great. I say it's a tie in that regard.

5. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:40
Edited: 17 July 2015, 05:40
UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

Wow, pausanias, that's amazing. I will be able to claim that I have been to all after this June when I am headed to Moorea and Bora Bora. I would be interested to hear about your aldabra atoll experience - is it worth the schlep to get there?

It's interesting to read people's comparisons of all these places. I agree, the Maldives is flat and doesn't offer much scenery wise. However, I felt it had a unique magical dimension - a real "getting away from it" feel. At night, the islands have an almost mystical feel when it's full moon and I was there! The crystal clear waters and powdery sand beaches are breathtaking. The advantage of having one resort per island leads to a more intimate feel than the Seychelles.

When I visited Seychelles, I thought nothing could be as beautiful as Maldives. I was wrong. The Seychelles combines the magic of Maldives with some truly breathtaking beaches. Walking around Anse Source D'Argent (look pictures up on the internet) was like being in paradise. Other less well known beaches such as Grand Anse in La Digue are too die for. Scenery wise, the Seychelles offers much more than Maldives as it has mountainous terrain and the infamous coco de mer.

It is really difficult to compare the beauty of each place. Each is beautiful in its own unique way and it is ESSENTIAL to visit both Maldives and Seychelles in one's lifetime. I can't wait to visit FP to complete my triplet of dream destinations!!!!

7. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 06:16
vai
southern cal
Level Contributor
316 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

Just returned from the Seychelles and Maldives, though only to Male so really can't comment on the Maldives outer atolls. Plus we were on a cruise so that makes our stay a bit different from those having a land holiday.

We really enjoyed the Seychelles: Praslin (WOW, saw the Green Flash for the first time), La Digue (L'Orangerie is beautiful) and Mahe (Anse Forbes is a lovely property with terrific owners and a fab beach). We loved the curries and fresh seafood but things are VERY pricey. Fish life for snorkelers is good but FP wins in our opinion.

A great place was REUNION.........what a fascinating island with lovely scenery, flowers, agriculture, and hospitality.Plus FOOD, and WINE!!!

We were underwhelmed by Seychelles after hearing about it for the last the 20 years. Didn't go further afield in the Maldives as we've had the atoll experience in the Tuams.

So, striking beauty goes to FP (what about Moorea and Huahine when factoring in STRIKING BEAUTY..........Bora might be iconic but.......)

vai
southern cal
Level Contributor
316 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

Just returned from the Seychelles and Maldives, though only to Male so really can't comment on the Maldives outer atolls. Plus we were on a cruise so that makes our stay a bit different from those having a land holiday.

We really enjoyed the Seychelles: Praslin (WOW, saw the Green Flash for the first time), La Digue (L'Orangerie is beautiful) and Mahe (Anse Forbes is a lovely property with terrific owners and a fab beach). We loved the curries and fresh seafood but things are VERY pricey. Fish life for snorkelers is good but FP wins in our opinion.

A great place was REUNION.........what a fascinating island with lovely scenery, flowers, agriculture, and hospitality.Plus FOOD, and WINE!!!

We were underwhelmed by Seychelles after hearing about it for the last the 20 years. Didn't go further afield in the Maldives as we've had the atoll experience in the Tuams.

So, striking beauty goes to FP (what about Moorea and Huahine when factoring in STRIKING BEAUTY..........Bora might be iconic but.......)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most striking beauty: Maldives, Bora Bora or Seychelles?

All of these locations are beyond beautiful, and I would be hard pressed to choose one over the other. For now, French Polynesia has been our getaway due to its proximity (the other two would require nearly a day of travel). In terms of French Polynesia, I personally found Bora Bora the most breathtaking in terms of "striking beauty". The colors of the lagoon are unlike anywhere else, even amongst the other Polynesian islands.