We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Hello, I'm trying to decide on where to go for my next holiday. This holiday will be a treat for me!! I'm looking at Bora Bora, Maldives or Mauritius to stay in an over water bungalow. I've only ever been overseas to Fiji, Bali and Phuket before. I am travelling alone. Hoping someone can help me out with which would be the best place to travel too. Don't really care if I do nothing all day, just want beautiful scenery, blue oceans to wake up to every morning and a OWB to step out directly into the water!!!

This is my first time on here too so thank you everyone in advance if you can help me decide :-)

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

I haven't been to either yet but I will say there is a post on this forum which I think is titled something like "where next" and it is pretty recent such as a June posting. Look tere to get some thoughts. We head to FP in March and have figured out a way to get o the Maldives now in just under 24 hrs flying time so we are hoping to go the following year. From what I see on the various Maldive resort websites the OWB look much better in FP. In fact we are doing OWB in FP and we won't do them in the Maldives. If you want to explore more islands it will be easier and cheaper in FP. FP should be worlds closer to you too. The topography also looks more lush in FP. I think they are very different places and each have there fans. We were on Lankayan in Borneo a couple of years ago and it looks like the Maldives. Good luck deciding - both look/sound awesome.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Thanks akgirl, what/where is "FP"? Sorry!!!!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

FP= French Polynesia....the name of the country where Bora Bora is located.

swansea
Level Contributor
441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Hi ,for what its worth ,we have stayed in all 3 ,Mauritius ,some very nice hotels ,lovely scenery ,lot of poverty ,can be a bit cooler temp wise than Bora Bora and Maldives.Bora Bora ,very scenic ,stayed in water bungalow at the Le Meridian, beautiful resort ,lovely beach ,good snorkling in the lagoon, excellent food,reasonable amount nice green foliage,nothing bad to say about it to be honest.

Maldives ,THE typical Robinson Crueso island escape ,wide range of resorts ,each on their own island ,some you can walk around in 10mins,ranging from expensive to VERY expensive ,most islands are lush and green,,it is the place to really kick back and do nothing ,one piece of advice ,the Maldives cater a lot more for couples than the other two locations ,just saying there might not be many other singles .

If it was a choice the Maldives would be our choice ,followed by Bora Bora,then Mauritius ,by the way another choice could be the Seychelles ,fantastic beaches ,more to do ,[if you want ].

Anyway i hope i have not confused you to much ,when it comes down to it i am sure ALL of them would be a perfect holiday.

Regards

Fishman

UK ,

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
162 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

I've been to all these places - but you might also think about the Cook Islands, especially Aitutaki, and Vanuatu which would be a great place for a single traveller as it's more adventurous, more culturally interesting and has some incredible beaches and snorkelling etc. Easy to get to from Oz and can be linked with a visit to my South Pacific favourite, the Isles of Pines in New Caledonia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Thanks Pausanias I did get a brochure today on Cook Islands!!! So many nice places to see, I still haven't chosen which one yet!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Thanks Fishman it's great to get input from so many people and what they think. :-) Still cant decide yet though!

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
32 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

All depends on time of year, from my research in sept Maldives has more wind than bora bora, and bora bora/moorea has such beautiful scenery, traveling alone have you considered a cruise around Tahiti etc, you meet heaps of people and do as much or little as you want, royal carribean junior suite and up are great. Costly but worth the luxury and gives you a taste of Vanuatu, new Zealand, moorea, bora bora and Hawaii plus more. But FP is worth every dollar. Cheers kay

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Been to Bora Bora and Maldives but not Mauritius yet. I would agree with some of the comments above. BB and Maldives are core honeymooner territory, so as a solo traveller, not sure whether they'd be suitable. As Pausanias suggested the Cook Islands might be more adventurous - certainly a place I'd like to visit once in my lifetime.

Seychelles is another fantastic choice - probably more suited to the solo traveller than Maldives and Bora Bora I would say. This is because a multi-island stay is normal, so there's quite a range of scenery, island life, things to do. Enjoy (from rainy dull England)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bora Bora v's Maldives v's Mauritius

Thanks everyone :-). Thinking yes Cook Islands may be the way to go!!