We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

New Jersey
Level Contributor
285 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Just a question for those out there who have traveled to Tahiti in coach. How did you fare on the 81/2 hour trip? Just talked with a buddy of mine last week who has traveled over 2.7 million miles for business the last 20 years and thinks I' am crazy to do a red eye in coach overnight. He said I will suffer in coach trying to sleep and DVT another concern. Just looking for some advice, the cost of business adds anywhere from $700.00 to $1000.00 per person, so quite an increase. I don't think it is worth the extra $$$, but don't want to arrive a zombie for a day or two.

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Here is the formula after 17 trips.in coach

1. get on board

2. Take off

3. Ask for a Hinano beer

4. Take an ambien with a Hinano chaser

5. They serve you a meal 1 hour into flight

6. You go night night for 5 hours

7. You wake up to them serving Breakfast & coffee

8. Head to the restroom for touchup

9. Fill out customs paperwork

10. You arrive in Paradise in the early morning to watch the sun come up with Moorea in the distance

Edited: 10 July 2012, 23:50
Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Business class will cost you a minimum of 700 per person each way.

That's a lot of money. Do you have your seat assignments already? Try to get an aisle and window seat with nobody next to you to make it more comfortable.

Regards BO

Edited: 11 July 2012, 00:22
santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,498 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Hi hi,

Coach is fine and you'll certainly be ok. Try to get an aisle seat so you can stretch alittle, as seating can feel cramped on a long flight if you are trying to sleep. The food in coach is ok. If you take the overnight flight, try to get some shut eye & you'll be there before you know it. They serve 2 meals, there are movies and free drinks. Try to get up and walk around abit, this will help as well.

Business class is devine, if you can afford it, I say go for it. (Your friend is probably getting free upgrades if he travels that much). It's Really comfortable behind that curtain...and the food is great. Also, there are no long lines at check-in, business class lounge, your baggage comes off the plane first and you board & deplane first. Oh and a drink Before you take off...lol!

It's a hard call if you can't justify spending the extra $.

Just grin and bear it in coach...either way, you are going to paradise :)

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 11 July 2012, 00:29
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
226 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Air Tahiti is a great airline and they are very accomodating. I don't do well on overnight flights even if I take a sleeping pill and attempt to chase it with alcohol. I tend to stay up all night long reading a book. I was pretty tired when we arrived in Tahiti and the ridiculous humidity and long customs line did not make me any less grouchy.....until our plane circled Moorea. The most important thing is no matter what - DO NOT TAKE A NAP DURING THE DAY or you will be screwed the rest of the trip. Only you know how you fly....if you struggle on overnight flights like I do, perhaps business class is worth it.

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

I personally, despised the flight. Both there and back, I got stuck with the hump that comes out from the floor, severely decreasing my ability to stretch out. I don't know how I managed to get it both times, but it really made the trip uncomfortable.

That along with the screaming kids whose parents were allowing them to - literally - run up and down the aisles drove me insane. I would just fall asleep and then the kid would start screaming or jumping up and down on the seat. ATN was offering a 'kids fly free' promotion when we flew, so I'm not sure if it is normal to have this amount of kids on these flights, or if I was just cursed. I've never really encountered this much of a problem with kids before, and we fly a lot to family destinations. Usually the parents have pretty good control over their kids, but not these flights!

But, on the other hand, it was only 8.5 hours of my time and another $700-$1000 cost was not something I wanted to pay. I quickly forgot the misery once we settled into our rooms.

Would I do it again? Probably not if the kids are flying free, but yes, if they are not. Also, I would do my best to find out where those darn humps are and avoid them or book with AF. Our flights were packed there and back because of the promotion, but I understand that some of the flights are not that booked so you can switch seats if you are greeted with one of the hump seats.

I would not, however, mix alcohol and prescription drugs as suggested by Tiki above - I want to enjoy the trip I paid for, not be carried out of the plane in a body bag! :)

Edited: 11 July 2012, 03:59
Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,807 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Here is a seat map that shows good and undesirable seats

seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Tahiti_Nui/Air_Tah…

Regards bo

Temecula, CA
Destination Expert
for Temecula
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

Thanks Bo! - I'm saving this for the future.

BTW - we took the afternoon flight and arrived around 11ish (best of my recollection) - worked out great - we checked in, passed out and woke refreshed!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

I absolutely can not sleep on a plane. I won't take medication to sleep and I would would certainly never consider mixing it with alcohol. So I just deal with it. It's not fun...it's not comfortable...but in the big picture, it's ONLY 8.5 hours....heck I spend that much time at work every single day being bored and uncomfortable! :-)

I've taken the red eye many times....I just put on my Bose headset... mostly listen to music....read a bit...maybe watch a movie or one of the Tahiti special programs....follow the flight tracking...play the trivia game on the entertainment system.... I get up a half a dozen times and walk around the plane....do stretches and knee bends a few times back in the galley. I'm usually pretty tired and fairly cranky when I get there. After we check-in I like to take a short nap...only an hour or so...not more than that!....otherwise I won't be able to sleep that night. After that short nap, I'm up and ready to go for the rest of the afternoon and evening. I make sure to go to bed early and get a good nights sleep and I'm completely recovered by the next day.

I've taken the afternoon flight too...and in many ways prefer it. You don't have to worry about not sleeping on the plane. You get to crash your first night on Tahiti and then move to your island destination the next day, all refreshed. So if you have an extra day to spare, it's a good way to do it.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 07:31
9. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 August 2013, 16:20
Edited: 14 August 2013, 16:20
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
226 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

I took a sleeping pill and chased it with a glass of wine on our red eye home..Never again. I had a dream (nightmare) that the plane crashed into the ocean..I woke up sweating, terrified, and a complete mess. I spent the rest of the flight praying God the pilots knew what they were doing. While my husband snored peacefully next to me. It was a nightmare. My own fault, of course. OKlahomaPretty + Sleeping Pills + alcohol = No no