We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bora Bora trip review

Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bora Bora trip review

This forum helped us plan our trip and we would like to return the favor by posting about our trip.

We flew Air Tahiti Nui and sat in business class. Service was excellent on all flights.

Hilton was our choice resort and really enjoyed it. The property was amazing and there are so many breath taking views. Our OWB had a great view of the sunset and had descent snorkeling.

Excursions:

Hiking Valley of the Kings - This was not an overly extensive hike. You don't have to be in the best shape of your life to take it. Very informative and met some very nice locals.

Photo Lagoon Cruise - Vincent picked us up very punctually. We cruised all around the lagoon taking pics. We got to swim, snorkel, have drinks, and have some wonderful pictures.

TopDive - we did an intro dive because we are not certified and have never done this before. We loved it and the guys we were with were great. My husband wants to get certified now.

Raanui Tour - this is family operated. We did the 1/2 day. We got to watch our guide feed lemon sharks, rays, and fish. Then we got to snorkel around all of them. Next stop was sting rays and we got to feed them if we wanted. They were very friendly. Third stop was lemon sharks again. This time the water was deeper. We actually were able to grab them by their fin and hang on for a few seconds. Next stop was snorkeling around coral. It was a great site. There were other boats abound, but it was not over crowded by any means. Our last stop was MotuTapu. We only spent 30 minutes there. Couples that were doing the full day stayed there for lunch. We had a fabulous time on this tour as well.

Our other time was spent enjoying the beach, lagoon, our OWB for breakfast and dinner.

We did have one meal outside the resort. Our hiking guide highly recommended Bora Bora Yacht Club. We loved our experience there. The food was very good and the people were friendly, as they were everywhere.

I would suggest exchanging money in town at the bank if you need cash. The rates are much better than at the resort.

If you are staying the Hilton and want to make dinner reservations do so early. They were booked up when we were there.

The only thing we were not extremely happy with was the service of the staff at the beach bar/grill. We loved everything else about our resort.

Hope this helps anyone looking for info.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
811 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bora Bora trip review

great to see another TR on here.

I would love to hear a little more detail about your experience with Top Dive as i am not certified as well and I really want to do this.

Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bora Bora trip review

They picked up and dropped off at our resort so no extra transfers. There is a group of people and and several TopDivers. We were split up into groups with the guides. They explained everything, much of which we did not need for our dive. They explained how to breath which is pretty much all we had to do. They did everything else for us. When we first got in the water we practiced breathing for a few minutes before we started down to the bottom. We were under for about 25 minutes. Guide was with us the entire time and checked on us every 2-3 minutes to make sure we were ok. We had a blast and wished that we could have done it again.

I imagine that they have some people that get down to the bottom and freak a little and either have to go back up or calm down for a minute.

Hope this helps.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
98 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bora Bora trip review

Thanks for your post. My wife and I are off to Tahiti in october for our first time in October and are in the planning stages for activities right now. We are very experienced divers so that part is easy. For other tours we are NOT into touristy things at all so we are thinking we will skip most of the stuff offered. One of the things we are considering though is the photo cruise. I would love some more details on that. Would you be so kind to share some more information?

-How much did it cost?

-What did you do? (which excursion did you take?)

-Were the pictures overly posed and kitschy? (the ones on the site are giving us pause)

Thanks in advance!

Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bora Bora trip review

Hey, great post, thanks!

We will be staying a the HIlton for a few nights in November. How many days were u in Bora Bora? |Sounds like u got a lot done

How much were meals on average per person per day? U probaboly got hte mean plan but if u didnt I wonder what hte pricing is like?

Is there a fridge in teh room to store food? Is there an ice machine?

Did you have glass floors in the OWB? Where are they located and how big r they?

Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bora Bora trip review

JSK,

The photo cruise was 48000 xpf for 4 hours and around 300 pics. Some were posed and some were not. We did the Dream cruise. They offer 2 or 3 different options. One option is a sunset cruise. We were considering that one, but chose the Dream instead. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Larisa,

We were there for 6 days. We enjoyed our excursions, but had plenty of time on our OWB patio and beach, etc. We only did the breakfast meal plan. I think we spent around 100-125/day on food other than breakfast. That includes snacks and wine from Chin Lee's. There was a fridge in our room, but it was pretty small and pre-stocked. They had a system attached that monitored if you took anything and i think it would charge you automatically so we left it all and used the ice machine to keep our drinks cold.

There were 2 glass boxes in our living room, on rectangle size one in the bathroom next to the tub and one on our patio.

Hope this helps.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
81 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bora Bora trip review

Thanks for the trip report! Regarding your 1/2 day excursion with Raanui Tours, what was the cost for 2 people. Did you contact them via email? Are they easy to deal with? I read on some other forum that they never received a reply to their emails. Thanks for your help.

Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bora Bora trip review

http://boraborasafarilagoon.com/

Here is their website. I emailed and never received anything back. I ended up calling. Their prices are listed. It says 7000cfp/person, but they only charged us 10,000 total. If we had booked the exact same excursion through our resort it would have been more expensive.

They were punctual and our guide, Leo, was really funny and nice. This was our largest excursions far as number of people on the boat, but it was comfortable and lots of fun.

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bora Bora trip review

I'd like more info on the Raanui Tour. How and when did you book this? How much was it? Sounds like a blast, especially the swimming with sharks part!

Also, when diving with top dive, did they take any underwater pictures, or was this even an option?

Thanks!!

Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bora Bora trip review

Thanks so much for your detailed reply back! Much appcreciated

Its good to know u were tehre for 6 days adn fit that many excursions as well as spend time in your OWB and beach!

When you mention food costing about $125 a day other than breakfast, was that per person or total for 2? Thanks :)

Upon check out, the hotel doesnt automatically charge you for any meals correct? Its only breakfast that much be included in your meal plan with the resort?

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bora Bora trip review

One more group of questions :)

As far as the hiking you talked about, was this just something you did on your own or was it like a guided tour? Was it worth all the trouble to get a chance to see the interior of the island? Was it free?

Thanks!