We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

Hello,

We are staying in Bora Bora at the Hilton Nui for 5 nights, and then at the Four Seasons for 5 nights.

At the Hilton we have the meal plan so all dinners are included, so we were planning on doing our "island dinners" during the five nights at the FS if we decided to go. We already have reservations for one night at Villa Mahana, but also want to eat at the FS restaurants a couple of times. So I guess my question is, would it be worth traveling to the main island again for Bloody Mary's? Would we be disappointed if we went all the way to Bora Bora and didn't go?

Also, is it much hassle to get to the main island for dinner, or is it pretty stress free and enjoyable?

Thanks!!

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,463 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

Hi cchandy,

Sounds like a nice long stay in Bora Bora :) Bloody Marys is the trendy touristy spot to go...it's a fun spot and the food is good. They have a visual menu ie: they display the meat/fish etc & you pick, sand floor, very tahitian ambience. It's also relatively affordable by Bora Bora standards. Another restaurant you may wish to consider is Maikai....an excellent choice as well. So happy to hear you have a reservation at Villa Mahana!!! A Wonderful dining experience. Another choice might be: A boat transfer (at cost) direct from FS to St Regis to dine at Lagoon restaurant under the stars on the terrace....simply fabulous and amazingly romantic!

As you may know, the Four Seasons charges a fee for the evening boat shuttle to/from the island, so this will add $$ to your dinner out. Their boat goes to their dock in Vaitape where the restaurants will pick you up via van and bring you back to the dock for the boat ride back....easy button. I think you should go out more than once, provided the boat shuttle cost isn't an issue :)

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 28 March 2013, 16:00
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

I wouldn't say it's a "must do"...but it's a kinda fun place to go. Very touristy.... kind of like a Tahitian version of a Hard Rock Cafe....with the sign out front of all the stars who've eaten there and the booth up front selling Bloody Mary's T-shirts. The food is good, not a gastronomic delight...but certainly good enough. Reasonably priced (for Bora Bora).

Edited: 28 March 2013, 16:50
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

Thanks so much to you both for the input! Dining under the stars sounds awesome, I'll have to look into that as well.

Could either of you give me an idea of what "reasonably priced"/"affordable" would translate to, sort of a ballpark dinner for two? :)

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

2 entrees, 1 shared appetizer, 2 drinks (depending on what they are) about $100.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

We wanted to go for lunch since we had B&D included in our Hilton package but after spending $60 some dollars for lunch at the Aloe Cafe in Vaitape/not being that hungry to venture to the main island again/ and timing we did not go. I thought I'd be disappointed for not going but I wasn't whiel there and still am not. So many memeories can be made on holiday and while I'm sure fun and a famed place in the end it is just a restaurant.

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

If you happen to be on the main island and get a chance to stop in for lunch or a drink do stop to see it. It's as mentioned good fresh fish but it's not a must do for the food. Villa Mahana is and so is Maikai.

Regards BO

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

Yes, Bloody Mary's is one of the touristy spots to go to. I thought the food was good, but nothing spectacular. In my opinion, it's definitely not a "must-do."

California
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

I agree, Bloody Mary's is not a must do. The food is just okay, the drinks are pre-mixed, and the staff tends to rush your meal so they can get the next group of people seated.

Even though you have the dinner plan at your resort, you may want to consider trying some of the other restaurants on the mainland, and especially the roulettes. They have the best food at the best prices. Plus, the resort food isn't always very good and can get tiresome if you're there for a number of nights.

New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

Id say Bloody Mary's -not a must do. The FS restaurants (3 of them) are all pretty good and Id say priced ok once you figure in the cost of the boat to and from vaitape and the fact that the boats leave the resort at 6:45 and return at 10:10 pm ish. So your options are walk to your dinner at FS and have time to yourself to savour an additional drink or atleast eat on your own schedule vs. work on the boat schedule! Villa Mahana makes the ride worth it. Mai kai and Lagoon as well. The others...eh.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Tuamotu Archipelago
Level Contributor
491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Bloody Mary's a "MUST DO"?

I just looked at restaurants, is Lucky House no longer open? I didn't see them. We loved there 2 years ago, and we didn't regret skipping Bloody Mary's and have never thought about it since. Seems like a touristy type place and that's not what we wanted. For us, no it was not a must do, we only briefly considered it and then found Lucky House instead.

I didn't feel like any of htem were must do, but we didn't love the resort food for dinner and it was pricey and the shuttle was free, which is why we tried Lucky House.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 16:35