We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Bora Bora or Maldives (at the end of October)

Tokyo, Japan
5 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Bora Bora or Maldives (at the end of October)

Hi, I know there have been a number of previous posts about this topic before, but I was hoping I could get the latest information.

We are planning a honeymoon to either Bora Bora or Maldives at the end of October (Oct27th to Nov 3rd). Either way, we will be staying for 5 nights. We have been searching the internet quite a lot recently, but can't get make the final decision and looking for some advice.

What we are concerned about the most is the weather. It seems that it would be end of dry season and start of wet season in Bora Bora, and end of wet season in Maldives. I have read experiences of others saying that there were absolutely no rain during their stay in the wet season, or some saying it rained the whole time during their stay. I know the weather is a 100% luck and you can't predict it, but would it be better to go to Bora Bora or Maldives weather-wise at the end of October?

Here are some other conditions:

- thinking of staying at Four Seasons if we choose Bora Bora, and if we choose Maldives we are thinking of choosing one of top-rated resorts in Trip Advisor.

- not worried about the budget.

- want to stay at over-water bungalows

- want to relax during our stay, but interested in doing some excursions or activities.

So overall, which destinations would fit our needs?

Pros and cons of both destinations would really be helpful.

Thank you in advance

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
334 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Bora Bora or Maldives (at the end of October)

I would really be watching the weather. We went to BB in Sept and had fantastic weather. We were considering going to the Maldives this year, but passed because it seems like the dry season is very small. I also found the Maldives to have too many resort options-- it's a bit overwhelming!

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Bora Bora or Maldives (at the end of October)

to be honest, wet season ends only at the end of December in Maldives regardless of what travel agents or websites say. You can be lucky, but u can also have 5 days of rain. Even though I am a Maldives addict, and have been there many times, if u want to play it safer in terms of weather, go for Bora Bora, I'd say.

The only 'safer' months in Maldives is January-March and then comes April. But all other months are risky for a 5 day honeymoon. and needless to say, Bora Bora is great as a honeymoon destination!

Edited: 26 January 2014, 21:45
London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Bora Bora or Maldives (at the end of October)

Azure has summarised the weather very well.

I too have been to both, Maldives many times, 1 - 3 trips in a year for many years. Aiming at returning to Bora Bora this year after my first wonderful visit. I prefer French Polynesia but the distance makes it harder to return to than Maldives for myself. If its for your honeymoon, to me the scenery above water in Bora Bora is more important than the shore snorkeling in Maldives.

- want to relax during our stay, but interested in doing some excursions or activities.

=> this is definitely Bora Bora. It wins hands down for best scenery, most beautiful lagoon, most colorful corals, warmest local, greatest hospitality and unique Polynesia culture which Maldives doesn't offer.

End of Oct. to early Nov. will also be the tail end of the humpback whale season in Bora Bora, so why not?

The resorts at Maldives are nice and the one island one resort concept suits people want to totally unplug, plus if you pick a resort with a house reef (pick carefully, more than half of them don't have one out of the 100+ resorts.) if you are into none stop shore snorkeling daily,the draw have to be Maldives, you will be able to organise your time much more flexible instead of following the timetable of the excursions. ( But, not all resorts offer shore snorkeling, pick your resort carefully if you are going.) Maldives is better for diving, and more up- market resorts open recent years have a pool on the OWV deck, and among those basic villas will cost more than the lower category in FSs.

If you are into best luxury amenities with good house reefs in Maldives, have a look at the following :

Velaa Private Island,

Anantara Kihavah

Jumeirah Dhevanafushi

If you can bare a short boat trip to snorkeling sites,

Cheval Blanc Randheli by LVMH

The above 4 are currently the only four offer the most luxurious amenities in Maldives, other resorts are not necessarily in the same league regardless the other important factors such as services.

If you are into the 'most Maldivian' experience like many return visits do, the winners, with even better snorkeling with abundant marine life will be :

Mirihi => bare foot luxury-- it's a rustic natural luxury resort and not that 'man made',architectures blend in the

little island nicely, less artificial compared to the above resorts.

most interesting snorkeling, heathy corals and best variety of marine life ever spotted during shore snorkeling in Maldives, big stuffs such as manta ray, eagle ray family, turtles, adult black tips, adult nurses harks, 10+ babes sharks etc etc... very closed to Whale Shark channel in South Ari Atoll too.

36 rooms in total and best service ever received at Maldives, if you are familiar with services at Aman resorts or Mandarin Oriental you know what I mean...

Cocoa

Even less rooms than Mirihi, 33 rooms, ( to people who chose it is a good news !) gorgeous sand bank, lagoon on the one / two bed room side is very nice. Corals slightly less impressive ( unhealthy) abundant marine life too, although less chance to witness whale sharks.

No resorts' house reef at Maldives can compare with the color of the best, healthest coral gardens at Bora Bora, due to the latter hasn't suffered from coral bleach as badly. Having said that, there are still healthy corals left in Maldives but comparing the very best to the very best in both, Bora Bora will be the winner.

5 days to either is not that long and if your holiday allows there are more islands outside Society Islands in French Polynesia offers remoter feelings than those little islands than Maldives. To sum up French Polynesia offers almost all those Maldives has, but NOT vise versa.

Edited: 28 January 2014, 01:45
4. Re: Honeymoon in Bora Bora or Maldives (at the end of October)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18