We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

Dallas
1 post
Save Topic
Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are planning on going to BoraBora in first week of September but we have a low budget compared to the average people coming to this detination....nut we heard it is one of the most beautiful places in the world!

We are planning to stay at the Club Med and we will get to Papeete with air miles. We need your advice on how to get to Bora Bora, is there an alternative to the $400 Air Tahiti airfare from Papeete to Bora Bora. Are there any ferry or water taxis that we can take? Where is the cheapest place to get this airline ticket? Can we wait until ge get to Papeete?

MAny thanks!!!!

BM

Moorea
Level Contributor
365 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

You really need to fly. There are a couple of freighter ships that go but it takes a long time as they stop at many islands. Air Tahiti is the inter-island carrier: http://www.airtahiti.aero/home.php

It will be a 50-minute flight and the best way to go.

California, Los...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

BM,

We are the same as you! We'll be there the last 2 weeks of August and a few days in September and we're budget people too. I couldn't find any way to get out of that flight cost. I was so bummed. :) It ended up being $735 total through Expedia. That includes taxes.

Sparta, NJ
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

Is this still true? There is no other good way to get from Papeete to Bora Bora?

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

See this webpage for options on travel from Papeete to Bora by sea:

www.boraboraisland.com/gethere.html#sea

But please heed their warning below, because traveling by ferry from Tahiti to Bora Bora isn't really practical for the normal vacationer on a one or two-week itinerary:

"The boats and ferries listed below run schedules to Bora Bora from Tahiti and other islands on fairly thin intervals, making for difficult vacation planning, if that is what you're trying to do.

To avoid dissapointment, TST recommends going down to the ferry quay of the island you are on and checking in person with the individual companies to see their current schedules and running times. If you happen to be there when a vessel fitting your schedule is there, take advantage of the moment and go for it, but don't try to plan your vacation around a particular island ferry or other vessel and certainly don't rely on their schedules to make an important international flight connection."

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

It's not cheap to fly back and forth between the islands, but the views on the left side (right side on the way back) are worth every penny. I've never seen my wife smile so much during a flight before, and she hates propeller planes.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

Ia orana

$ 735 through Expedia for a round trip to Bora Boera ? you must have purchased the ticket with the extra weight allowance.For sure there are no First class seats on board.

The advice given recently to shop and place a call to a Local US Agency in Sherman oaks (Namelly Travel Portfolio) could have saved you a few bucks for sure.

Phone 818 907 7981.

The advice to take a ferry to Bora Bora must be a bit dated and for sure comes fromthe time of the services of the Ono Ono ( with tqales of high seas and green people coming out of that space age looking vessel, the proper rwritting of the name for the ship should habe been Oh No, Oh No!.

The Option to ride on the deck of a cargo ship is also not the for the faint at heart (nor stomac) + time being money in FP....

Meherio

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

Meherio~ I may be mistaken...but I think the $735 is for 2 people....which sounds about right.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

I tried Travel Portfolio but they wanted my social security number along with my credit card. I do not feel comfortable giving this out for an airline ticket. the gentleman was very nice and suggested I go to a local travel agency, which I have yet to do for April. I worry about booking through Expedia....anyone have suggestions?

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

Why on earth would they need your SS #? I would not give it out either!

San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Papeete to Bora Bora

There are ways to save money on the airfare if your going to Club Med but you need to know the 'secret'. Feel free to email me at jerry@jerrydallons.com and I will share.