We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping

What are the customs on tipping? Do you tip for meals? Tours?

We live in Vegas and tip for everything but want to be respectful of the customs.

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Here is just one of many threads on this subject. tripadvisor.com/…42390558

Do a search and you can read more. Sounds like tipping is more acceptable now than in the past but not something that is expected.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Tipping is not a local custom at all and is only 'becoming more accepted' because many Americans insist on doing so, because that's what they do at home.

Tahiti is not a 3rd World Country but has higher wages that the US and is more comparable to France (one of the reasons why it's such an expensive place to visit). In most European countries people may round up to the next Euro, but leaving huge 15-20% tips is purely an American custom.

Anyone would be a fool to turn down a tip, but tipping is not part of the indigenous culture of French Polynesia.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,142 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

I've had a number of conversations with Polynesian owned and operated tour companies about this, who state universally that they rely heavily on tips. Whether or not this the fault of the Americans or whether or not tipping is part of the "indigenous culture" (it wasn't a part or the indigenous culture or America either!), I've ascertained that it is very much expected and built into the tour structure and payment of workers on tours, and so I tip, and tip well for those excursions. I do not do (as I do in Americanr restaurants) tip 20%+ on hotel restaurant bills because I have researched and agree with Wolves that servers at such places earn a living wage and are not taxed for assumed tips like they are in America. I do usually leave 5% or so, sometimes more for exceptional service and I am more likely to tip more at independently owned restaurants. I tip bell hops and taxi drivers for the same reason that I tip tour guides. I have honest and frank conversations with workers when I am curious and want to do the right thing, and I have found that they are generally forthright and honest about the issue. Don't be afraid to ask. When indoubt, I would rather tip "too much" than too little. No one in these service industries are getting rich.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Thank you all. I try to travel and be respect of the area and people.

Washington
Destination Expert
for Papeete, French Polynesia
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

As a very long time traveler to French Polynesia I can assure everyone that back in the 80's tipping was

never a subject mentioned. It was against the social custom in FP. Over the years tipping has become more

accepted on the islands that cater to the tourist industry. I have never felt the need to tip and still don't but

if you wish to tip for good serice then do as you wish. Rest assured that the wages and benifits are not

3rd world by any means. I'd trade my US Social Security for their CPS any day

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
445 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Tipping in French Polynesia is not required, however it will be very appreciated by everyone. People here are very welcoming and will often go the extra mile to share their culture and show you a good time; it certainly won't be seen as offending and they will be more great-full than you think.

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

The people who say they rely heavily on tipping are really just lying! The minimum wage in FP is 3 times that of the US or at least 2x! Tipping was never a custom here and the more you will bring in your American habits the more you will spoil the population and the more they will expect you to tip!

Most (licensed) tour operators with boats etc are funded by the government with heavily subsidised petrol prices. They are lying outright if they say they depend on your tips!

It is a true shame to see such b-s*** published.

Award those who rend you a good service but not at all in the same spirit as in the US. Please!

Tahiti, French...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Minimum wage here is 1800 us$ and that is not counting working on Sundays, public holidays, over time etc. which is very well remunerated. Research before posting such comments like "its built into the structure"

Georgetown, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

We did not find this to be so. The island is as impoverished as most I have visited. Tipping is both expected and welcomed. Recognition for service is a common practice

10. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 February 2016, 01:53