We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking restaurants / activities in advance

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Booking restaurants / activities in advance

Hi,

My husband and I are going to Bora Bora for 5 nights at the end of May (staying at the Hilton). There seem to be a lot of posts etc about people booking dinners and activities in advance. Do we need to do this? I don't believe there are any cruise ships in port while we are there (at least not according to the website I looked at).

My husband is likely to want to go diving and perhaps we'd like to go on a snorkeling trip but we don't have specific trips etc in mind.

We want to head away from the Hilton for dinners but I'm hoping I can just get the Hilton to book these for me perhaps the day before?!

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

I can't give advice on food as we had a half board at our hotel. We preferred this as we could watch the sun go down in our OWB and not rush. Our reservations kept getting later and later as we were do relaxed and not rushed.

I found it helpful to book ahead a few excursions. In OZ we found it difficult to get XPF ahead of time. We paid ahead for Reef Discovery (I would recommend) and had less to pay later on. You can also book through the hotel (suppose to be more expensive but it seemed comparable pricing).

It's all really easy once you get there. So don't overthink it. Keep in mind that you'll need to pay for a boat to get to Vaitaipe.

Enjoy your trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
345 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

I can't give advice on food as we had a half board at our hotel. We preferred this as we could watch the sun go down in our OWB and not rush. Our reservations kept getting later and later as we were do relaxed and not rushed.

I found it helpful to book ahead a few excursions. In OZ we found it difficult to get XPF ahead of time. We paid ahead for Reef Discovery (I would recommend) and had less to pay later on. You can also book through the hotel (suppose to be more expensive but it seemed comparable pricing).

It's all really easy once you get there. So don't overthink it. Keep in mind that you'll need to pay for a boat to get to Vaitaipe.

Enjoy your trip!

tennessee
Level Contributor
187 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

We wanted to eat dinner one night at Villa Mahana and had heard it books up months ahead so we booked it as suggested. We also have 1/2 board at IC Thalasso at the end of May but were told even with dinners included we must make a reservation for dinner at the hotel. I will say that we wanted to book the canoe breakfast for the time frame 5/27 thru 5/31 while we are there and as of last week there was only ONE day it was not already completely full.

I'm not sure if May is the busy time after the rainey season ends, but my advise would be in your heart is set on a specific restaurant or a specific activity on a particular day then I would book ahead of it. If you are more open then I would just do as you suggest and book something the day before with the concierge at your hotel.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

We just came back from Bora Bora and Moorea. I too was worried about booking in advance. Once we got there though we were just so relaxed that we didn't feel like dining out - having room service delivered to our villa was lovely at the end of the day.

We did book Villa Mahana in advance as well as Reef Discovery.

I am glad though that we did not book more in advance. The weather can be variable...One couple had gotten a great deal on a helicopter ride and when it was cancelled due to wind - well they couldn't reschedule and it was wasted. Better to take it one day at a time and book when you're there, play it by ear with the weather and your mood.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

We were there in 09 and going back next year. When I went there the only restaurant I booked in advance was for La Villa Mahana as I wanted the top table which is supposed to be the best. In hindsight the regular area would have been fine :-). When we checked in to the st Regis our butler offered to make us a reservation there and was surprised when I told him we already had a res :-). He then booked us for Bora bora Yacht for the following night. Arranged everything from shuttle and restaurant picked you up.

While in a Moorea we did not make any advance reservations. Hotel concierge did that for us when we checked in and inquired.

So.... I don't believe you need to do it in advance unless you have your heart set on one place and really want to make sure you get in :-)

A lot of people do the half board thing but in my opinion, I like to experience local restaurants, the people and ambience of gong to a different place.

Enjoy paradise!!!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

Forgot to mention, we took USD with us and exchanged into francs when we landed at Papeete. Very easy. They have currency exchange right there. :-)

Enjoy paradise!!!!

Edited: 02 April 2014, 03:18
California
Level Contributor
9,754 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

Like others we booked Reef Discovery in advance. We went out with them today and it was fantastic! Also booked Villa Mahana well in advance and looking forward to dining there in a couple of hours. : )

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

Thanks so much for all the helpful comments!! I think I am pretty happy to play it by ear after reading all your advice!

We don't have any strong preferences as to where to eat so think we'll just book as we go.

Thanks and I can't wait for May to arrive!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

I would book Reef Discovery in advance. They only take out 4 couples max and especially on cruise ship days the preferred morning tours can sell out quite a ways in advance. We like them so much we'll book them 2-3 times during a stay.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking restaurants / activities in advance

Thanks Sheag; I was just checking out their website and the tour looks great so might do that!