We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Bora Bora

Houston
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Bora Bora

My wife and I are considering a trip to Bora Bora. But all of my online searches for flights come up empty. We are looking to travel in July and will likely be departing from Columbus, OH (believe it or not, we are coming from Houston but need to drop off our kids at their grandparents in WV first). Any ideas?

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

Try www.airtahitinui.com.

I know they have flights from the US to Papeete where you would connect to Bora Bora. They are great to fly with. We have flown from NZ to Papeete with them several times. They have very good Business Class specials too. We love Tahiti, it is a favourite destination for us.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

Hi dad, Bora Bora is the most beautiful island I've ever been to. Went 7 times between July 1980 and September 85. We had a blast. it's changed now, way more development and the prices are obscene. Since you have never been there, the development might not seem as bad as I would find it. It will be overshadowed by the beauty, that's for sure. I have ranted on about the prices and have stated that other island groups (Fiji, Cooks) offer better value. I stick by this, but I will not dissuade you from going to Bora Bora if you can accept and afford the crippling expense. All flights, or most, to the south pacific leave from L.A. That's your gateway. Air Tahiti Nui, Air New Zealand, and Air France are the big carriers for Tahiti now. I remember flying UTA for all but one of my seven trips. July will be a comfortable time to go, it will be a whole lot cooler than Houston and even less humid. Although I think anywhere on earth would qualify for that! June-September is the coolest time of the year in the south tropic. July also is kind of busy, festivals and such. You might consider later in the year if that's possible.

Post me a note or add to this post if you need more questions answered on the islands.

Houston
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

Thank you both for your comments and advice. Yeah, Houston is pretty nasty in the Summer. And frankly, I've been trying to convince my wife to take a mountain vacation sometime. But she's a beach lover.

We're not sure yet where we are going. Actually, I don't think will make Bora Bora this time. We only have 5 days and the trip would be too long. We've been thinking about Bermuda or Aruba. We've been to alot of places in the Carribean so looking for somewhere different. But we would prefer to avoid the commerical stuff.

Any ideas?

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

I totally understand, five days is way too little time for the South Pacific. I can't offer further advice to you as I detest the Caribbean, Central America, and Mexico. Good luck though.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

Actually, I have a totally different suggestion for you: Quebec City.

No seriously. I LOVE the South Pacific and found Bora Bora to be spectacular (though I too think that it's probably starting to be overbuilt). I LIVE to travel to places like French Polynesia and the Cook Islands. I have to admit though that beautiful QC is every bit as romantic - though in very different ways.

Quebec City is a wonderfully enchanting city - the only walled city in all of North America. Yes, that's right, a real walled city (at least around the old part of town). Just like being in Europe with small quaint cafes with chairs ourside, and strolling musicians and wonderful artists displaying their wares. Trust me, I lived in Europe and the old town section of QC is just like being in Europe.

But don't take my word for it, look into it yourself. Look at photos, read articles and see if maybe this different type of vacation my be just what you are looking for. To start with, take a look at my shots of the place here:

community.webshots.com/album/80640268cbjpPD

... and see what you think. If they spark your interest dig a bit deeper.

I'm of the opinion the QC is THE most romantic city in all of North America.

Ken

little rock...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

I don't know abour Bermuda, but ARUBA is awesome. I would go back every year if I could. It is absoultey one of the most laid back and beautiful islands I have been on. The trade winds there are awesome. When I was told not to even take a brush... didn't give it much thought. Does no good to brush your hair. It blows 24/7 and is wonderful. Have heard Bora Bora is beautiful and would someday like to go, but from all the islands in the Carribean Aruba is by far the best.

Houston
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

Great advice, guys! I will look into QC. We're very open to new ideas at this point.

Glad to hear good things about Aruba. I did some checking last night and found some very reasonable deals at some pretty nice places.

Additional feedback is definitely encouraged. Thanks everyone!

Maryland
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

dadneedsrnr,

French Polynesia is one of the most beautiful places in the world, we were there for 2 weeks and that was not enough.

In August of 2004 my husband and I went to Aruba and it was a very nice island. There is the beautiful, calm water side and the other coast line was rugged, raw and so very beautiful. We stayed at the Raddison in an ocean view room and were quite happy. That hotel is right in the main hotel zone so there is lots going on, too many eateries to choose from with in walking distance. There is a quieter beach area with no highrises that was also lovely.

I have been to Bermuda 6 times and lived there one summer with a friend from college who was from there. It is one of the most lovely islands around and July is a perfect time to go but it is, like french polynesia, very expensive. Check out Marley Beach Cottages if you go. They are just so cute, great location and affordable for BDA.

The world is a wonderful place, enjoy where ever you go.

Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

Hi dad,

I've been to Aruba and found it delightful. My kids really enjoyed it too. Would love to go back someday. Taking a cruise to Polynesian Islands this summer and will be visiting Bora Bora. Hope to find this wonderful as well.

Di

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on Bora Bora

Dimarie, after you've seen the Society islands you'll laugh at how Aruba looks in comparison! Nothing in the Caribbean comes close.