We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about half board and dinner

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Question about half board and dinner

I've seen around the board that the prevailing wisdom about meals is that you can save a lot of money by arranging half board (breakfast and dinner) with the travel agent / hotel. I did this, and it appears that adding dinner to a "just breakfasts" package was between 800-1000 dollars for 5 days (for 2 people). These are prices at BB pearl, Hilton Nui, and Sofitel marara beach.

Does this sound like a reasonable price? 80-100 dollars per meal seems a bit high, but I've never been to BB.

Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about half board and dinner

Couple of thoughts. First, you are going to be bound to eat your dinners at the same place every night. Second, we ate for approx. 70-80USD at most restaurants on the island. This included 2 entrees and a desert we split, so the cost you mention isn't too bad.

It is a tough call as you may have to pay to water taxi into the mainland to the restaurants for some of them. Most will pick you up for free at your resort. Personally, I would not want to "have to" eat at my resort every night. You can always eat there if you want, but would at least have the option of eating elsewhere too.

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about half board and dinner

Allow me to clarify - the 80-100 dollars is per person. Your price - 70-80 sounds like it covers two.

Is the quoted price too high, given the clarification?

Totally agree on the flexibility point; I dont think I /want/ to eat every day at the same restaurant either.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about half board and dinner

Hi Brian,

Happy to provide alittle additional info regarding dinner meal plans. Usually the add on for dinners at a nice resort includes appetizer-entrée-dessert for two people. The cost varies by resort....but as you mentioned you were given pricing 80-100 per person at various resorts. Please know this is not high...it's more the standard for a 3 course meal, per person, at a nice resort. You will also spend about this much going out to a nice restaurant...depending on what you order of course. So, the bottom line is that you will not save any $$ by purchasing dinners in advance at your resort...you are just pre-paying to eat there every night. You will probably spend less overall if you go out a few nights....who knows.....maybe you'll just have pizza one night...lots less than 80-100 per person.....or maybe a late lunch. Perhaps going out may mix it up a bit.

Hope this helps! enjoy paradise.... :)

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 27 August 2014, 21:10
California
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about half board and dinner

We prefer not to eat dinners every night at our resort, so we only get the breakfast half board. When we stayed at the BB Hilton we loved taking the water shuttle and staying on to the second stop where the workers get off the boat. That puts you right where the roulettes are. We had some wonderful meals there for a lot less money, and we were able to talk to some of the locals, as well as making friends with the workers we road with on the boat.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about half board and dinner

Well, these are two very different metrics. Papilliontraveler is talking about "most restaurants on the island" for $70-80 for two people - it's almost impossible to eat dinner for that little at the resorts you mention. As shully says $100 per person (or even quite a bit more) is not out of line (without drinks), for a standard three course resort dinner meal. Even off of the resorts a place like Villa Mahana will set you back about $250 per person or more. Of course there are less expensive places away from the resorts too and yes, the roulettes.

But the prices you've been quoted are probably about what you'd spend anyway at least at those resorts, it just takes the checkout sticker shock out of it by prepaying :-). But we also don't like eating at the same restaurant every night. We do usually get breakfast included and then usually eat dinner a couple of nights on the mainland and as shully says sometimes a late lunch or light dinner is in order so for us the prepay packages don't really make sense.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 03:22
Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about half board and dinner

I am using Restaurant Matira and Fare Manui (I believe that was it, it was right next to the entrance to Le Moana) as my basis.

Restaurant Matira was approx. $30-$35 USD per meal, plus $15 USD for dessert. Some meals were a little less and some a little more. One of those meals was a mahi mahi meal and the other a steak dinner.

At Fare Manui, we ate a couple of times for approx. the same amount as Restaurant Matira. The night we each had a pizza it was only $50 USD for both of us.

I believe an average meal and dessert at Le Moana ran us close to $100 USD. We only ate their once.

Villa Mahana, of course, would be one of the most expensive places to eat in Bora Bora.

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about half board and dinner

Thanks very much for the information. I really appreciate it!

We're definitely planning on a trip to Villa Mahana, after having read all the reviews. Are there other restaurants at this level on Bora Bora? I was surprised that there does not appear to be a Michelin starred restaurant on the island; but perhaps my research fails me and you can all clue me in.

Again, thanks all for the info.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about half board and dinner

The Michelin guide doesn't "do" Tahiti - or Hawaii, or many other places in the world. They didn't even cross the Atlantic until 2005.

There isn't any other restaurant on Bora Bora that's on par with Villa Mahana. But for more casual, less expensive and still quite good I like the St. James. I may have mentioned that to you before in another topic, can't remember.

If you're going to be on Tahiti, Le Lotus at the IC is excellent. Often one of Europe's top chefs will be in residence as they seek them out to come do working vacations and the restaurant has an association with Auberge De L'Ill which is a three star Michelin restaurant in France.

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about half board and dinner

Hi Brian,

The Lagoon restaurant by Jean Georges at St Regis is amazing. The restaurant was completely renovated about a year ago. The deck and interior now have glass floors to view the sharks below. The menu has changed a bit as well and is truly fantastic these days! The service is spit spot on as well. We have eaten here several times over the last few years.....lots delightful seafood with abit of Asian flair. My favorite dish here is a 'papio' local fish with a spicy broth that I promised not to give the secret ingredient to....I begged for it. A reservation here is hard to get...due to popularity, the resort isn't allowing outside guests during high season these days (June-end Oct) unless there is a last minute cancellation. The sunset views of Mt Otemanu from their terrace are unforgettable.

Villa Mahana remains my personal favorite. Chef Damien is a friend of ours & never ceases to amaze. Large portions of just plain delicious food. His filet & gnocchi are wonderful...and the chocolate cake..devine.

Maikai is also a great restaurant.....quite popular w/yummy seafood and a lovely waterfront location.

sunny regards,

shully

Edited: 28 August 2014, 21:43
New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about half board and dinner

Thanks!