We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theft at Sheraton Moorea

5 posts
Save Topic
Theft at Sheraton Moorea

I just got back from my honeymoon this past Sunday. First stop was Sheraton Moorea (check out my trip report sometime next week for rest of the trip; also can i post a link on here for kodak easy share?). Anyway, since everyone here was so helpful before our trip, I wanted to share some recent incidents at Sheraton. We stayed there for 4 nights and for 2 nights they upgraded us (SPG members and didn't even ask) to overwater from beach bungalow. Well we rented a car on the day they were switching our rooms and left the bags there to be moved as they suggested. Came back and while all the bags were there, my wife's wallet was stolen from inside her purse. The wallet had no money (about $20) or passports, just driver's license and credit cards. After spending over an hour making sure it wasn't in any other luggage we went to front desk and found another couple who had their purse stolen from their deck the day before. They however had $3000 in it. General manager wasn't helpful and quite rude at first. He felt insulted that we would accuse his employees even though noone else had access to the room or the bags. We're taken to police station to file report and discovered that this was Sheraton's 6th theft incident in the past 6 weeks. Police thought seriously enough of it to send 3 cops to interview hotel employees (Moorea has 10 cops total). No wallet was found and no charges were made to the credit cards. After meeting privately with the manager and explaining to him how unprofessional he was during this ordeal, he appologized and refunded us 2 nights but for the rest of our stay there we couldn't relax and refused to let them clean the room without being in it. We may have over-reacted but we had a bad taste in our mouth and didn't know who we could trust. It took away from an otherwise wonderful hotel. So this post is not meant to discourage you against Sheraton but rather is cautionary tip for your stay there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theft at Sheraton Moorea

So sorry this happened to you and glad to hear they gave you a refund! Happy to say I am staying at Moorea Pearl when I head there in 2 months for my HM. That is terrible there have been so many thefts!

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theft at Sheraton Moorea

I am sorry to hear about your bad luck also. We just got back on Saturday and stayed at the Sheraton also. The general manager was wonderful to us.

Tip to all travels: keep your wallets, credit cards and passports with YOU at all times unless in the safe provided at the hotels. Also, the other couple should never have had $3,000 in cash. It is not needed on the islands. Credit cards are accepted at most of the hotels and restaurants. Everything at the hotel can be billed to your room including most excursions. Cash is only needed for lunch and some excursions booked outside the hotel. The market even takes credit cards. We brought $500.00 in traveler’s checks as a precaution in case the ATM machines gave us trouble. We never cashed them as the exchange rate was much worse. The exchange rate was 9700 for $100 when we left and the Hotel only gave 8600 for traveler’s checks. We were there 12 days and nights and got 30000 at the ATM in Tahiti upon arrival and another 20000 in down town Bora Bora.

3. Re: Theft at Sheraton Moorea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 00:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor