We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried Fiancee', HELP!!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Worried Fiancee', HELP!!!!

We leave this Sunday for beautiful Bora Bora and my soon to be wife has voiced her concern with catching some disease from a mesquito bite or having horrible bouts of diarrhea after eating the food there. Mind you we have reservations at Villa Mahana and will be eating at nice places throughout our stay!!! What can I tell her to settle her down as to both of these issues, or is there anything we can do to try and avoid the possibilities of these things happening, or is she just worrying about something that will never happen? Sorry for the oddball questions?!? Thanks guys!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
348 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried Fiancee', HELP!!!!

No matter where you travel outside the US there are always concerns about health issues. Best advice is be prepared. Take some medicines along with you in case the food or water doesn't agree with you. I always travel with a good supply of Imodium, although I've never needed it on foreign travels, only in the US :-) If you're worried about the water, drink bottled and remember that Ice in drinks is made from the local water. Take bug spray and use it because there are always mosquitos in tropical locations. It doesn't hurt to be careful, but don't let it ruin the trip.

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried Fiancee', HELP!!!!

Tell her to settle down.

Yeah, there's a chance you could get food poisoning or get bit by a mozzie carrying dengue fever - but you could also get ecoli at your local McDonalds or west nile virus from a mozzie in your own back yard - and the fact is, that you're probably more likely to get hurt or killed in a car accident driving to the airport than any of those things. Life is full of risks and you really can't completely avoid them.

The fact is however that your risks are pretty slight. Bora Bora is not a poor backward island. There is certainly not the poverty and filth of many popular destinations in the Caribbean. It's a relatively clean and healthy island (especially for visitors) and you really don't have to worry about where and what you eat - particularly at the tourist restaurants. You might want to drink bottled water, but I'm not even sure that is necessary. We generally do it, but during a total of 6 weeks spent in the South Pacific (1 week in FP, 5 weeks in the nearby Cook Islands) I've never had a problem with the food or water. Even my wife, who has stomach problems here at home on a regular basis (at least 1/week), has had just 1 incident during that time (after eating a really greasy burger on Rarotonga). So as you can see, her record in the South Pacific is FAR better than her record here at home.

Remember, Bora Bora is a favorite of the rich and famous crowd and it's not unusual to hear that so-and-so the movie star just returned from there for yet another honeymoon. These are folks who can afford to go anywhere they want. Ask your fiancee' if she really thinks folks like that would go to Bora Bora if it was a dirty unclean place. Bora Bora is a world-class resort island - one of the most expensive, most exclusive destinations in the entire South Pacific. Why do you think the prices are so high there - because they can charge those kinds of prices since most of the clientel can afford to pay them. So tell her to chill about the food.

As for mozzies - as mentioned previously you always have a risk (just as you have a risk of West Nile virus at home). Even Hawaii gets dengue outbreaks from time to time - but the fact is, if you are staying in an OW bungalow you'll probably never even see a single mozzie since the tradewinds almost always blow out over the water and mozzies can't fly well in the wind. If you have a garden bungalow (or even possibly a beach unit) you do have some risk of being bit so in that case just wear mozzie spray (especially in the evenings).

Anyway, don't worry too much about either of those 2 things. Personally I thing your biggest threat is from sunburn (especially this time of year). Trust me on that - I get fried nearly everytime I go to the tropics (word of advice, wear a t-shirt while snorkeling and ALWAYS wear high-spf sunscreen)

Hope this makes you feel better. I'd trade place with you folks in heartbeat.

Ken

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried Fiancee', HELP!!!!

Thanks Ken!!

Your words are very soothing and I will relay them to my bride to be! Yes, we have been told that about snorkeling, and we both have exposure protection for that, but thanks. I appreciate all your help.

Chris

4. Re: Worried Fiancee', HELP!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 01:16