We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

South East England...
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Whilst on wifi, does this work in Egypt?

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
10 replies to this topic
Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
767 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Yes they do. Whatsapp can be a bit iffy but viber is better for making calls.

South East England...
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Thanks Kizzy. I'm thinking not getting a prepaid sim and just calling through the apps on wifi will this work?

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
767 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Yes it will but are you going to be using your own wifi unit or the hotel wifi. The hotel wifi's are not very reliable.

South East England...
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Ideally I was hoping the hotels...

Hurghada, Egypt
Level Contributor
767 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Hotel wifi will work but you may find the signal weak. Do you have an unlocked phone? If so you can purchase an Egyptian data sim at the airport. It's very cheap and they will set it up for you. You don't need to change your number, your whatsapp will still work and you will have a strong signal for messenger, especially on vodaphone.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

I agree with Kizzy (waves at kizzy) I am only commenting as you are going Marsa and I can explain the hotels in the Marsa area. WhatsApp will frustrate the hell out of you. Most hotels do not have fixed wifi in Marsa and is very poor. What hotels have is a Mifi unit with a SIM in that everyone in the hotel fights for a connection with boosters throughout hotels..

If you need internet in Marsa then either invest in a Mifi unit unlocked around £30 off Amazon and purchase a Vodafone SIM at Airport on arrival. The guys at Vodafone desk will set it up and Vodafone is the quickest service in the area. I live here and have a Mifi with Vodafone and it flys. I have a 20gig SIM which costs less than £10 and WhatsApp works fine on that.

If you do not wish to purchase a Mifi unit then you can hire them from Marsa Airport at Vodafone desk for a small deposit and returned on departure.

Mifi is great just charge it take the beach around the pool.

Beats trying to connect to hotel Wi-Fi.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Jared, have you got any idea how long the SIM cards last as in if i got mine last November and i'm back this November and i had credit, will it still be there or even still work?

Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Usually the sim cards witch are brought from an airport is a prepaid holiday sim and lasts for one month but if you register it when your buying it than it will be valid for one year but you must make a phone call one's every three month.

And currently vodafone offers 12gb for 7€ or 19GB for 10 € plus the sim card cost of 5€ and vodafone is the best coverage in Egypt and marsa alam and south.

Also be aware the hotels are not all providing free of charge wifi service, some hotels such as fantazia and gorgonia charges 50 and 60€ per a week per a device and hotels in coraya bay gives you 165 MB free for your holiday than they charge you 30€ for 1 GB .

The best and fastest and cheapest way is to buy a local Vodafone sim card on arrival. Also your home number will be remained on what's up and social media accounts with the local sim card.

Have a nice holiday in Egypt

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
South East England...
Level Contributor
240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

Thank you all for your great replies.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger

I am going to Egypt next month and my Australian Optus won't work. I'm not sure what the mifi unit is, can you explain?

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Reply to: Making calls via whatsapp or Facebook messenger
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam