We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

Windsor, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

HELLO and thank you for checking this out. May I ask has anybody booked a shuttle from Luxor to Marsa Alam? If so could I have the contact information or web site for this. I am looking for reliable and safe travel from Luxor to Marsa Alam for 2 adults with luggage. Willing to share a private car or mini bus.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

Cheers!

John

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

You have to be careful when booking internal travel in Egypt these days as you are ment to travel with your holiday company. We had 2 weeks in Marsa Alam in May with Thomson, we booked a day trip ti Cairo through the rep with no problems. We had prebooked a day trip to Luxor with Memphis but when they got our passport details they informed us that we had to travel with Thomson and they could no longer take us.

If you have booked flight only I think you may still be able to use local travel companies but if you have booked a package deal then you are limited to your tour operator.

Barry.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

Barry72,

I'm very curious about your travel experience. I don't understand how anyone would know, just by looking at your passport, that you had been travelling with Thomson, or what bearing that should have with any other excursions you may wish to choose. Surely your agreement with Thomson was only to get you to Egypt and back and provide accommodation in one location (or more if it was a multi destination holiday).

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

I think it is very possible that anti competitive or extra legal practices are operated in Egypt, or in certain parts of the Egyptian industry. I have not heard of this one but it does not surprise me that someone there would seek to restrict independent tourism. The passport issue would be a red herring.

Or of course it could simply have been untrue, like telling you the hotel you want is full and taking you to one owned by a relation.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

I had heard of this situation through these forums before we booked but there were enough contradictions that I thought it was worth a try. I asked Memphis if they could do our day trip and was told it would be ok even though we were on a package holiday.

The day before we were ment to go I got an email from them in reply to the copies of our passports that we sent them a couple of days previous, important part was

"Please kindly note that due to the recent regulations set by the authority we recommend to book your tour to Luxor with the same travel agent you have booked your holiday / hotel with, and we will refund you the deposit paid the same way into your credit card and this will take few days to appear in your bank statement.

Thank you for your understanding the situation and look forward to hearing from you soon."

The only reason I booked this trip was to use the new road from Edfu, I did not want to go via Safaga which is much longer despite the lies told by the Thomson rep.

Barry.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

I don't know when you want to travel to Marsa Alam but in November I have booked a two centre holiday in Luxor and 5 nights in Marsa Alam we are two couples and have hired a mini bus for the journey which I am told takes about four hours (using the new road) the cost is £140 return. If you are going any time after me I will let you know how things turned out,

Royston
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

I'd love to know how you get on. I'm trying to book a trip (day) to Luxor to see things we didn't see last time.

Dorset
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

Wondering who you hired your minibus from - need to get from Aswan to Marsa Alam........

Bolsward, The...
Level Contributor
126 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

I'd also like to do if and how he did it.

Want to do a Luxor day trip on private transport (from El Quesir)

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

Hi Scouse Kev,

Did you manage to get down the "new road" from Edfu to Marsa? If so who did you do it with? Many thanks - lots of people interested in this!!

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Luxor to Marsa Alam...how?..Please!!

The key difference between my experience last year and ScouseKev's pland in post number 5 above is he states he booked a twin centre holiday. We booked a package holiday for 2 weeks to Marsa Alam, we tried to book a day trip with a local tour operator and even payed the deposit. We were then told because we booked our package holiday with Thomson then Memphis could not take us to Luxor and we would have to use Thomson if we wanted to visit Luxor.

We only discovered the day before pickup that we would not be going which was less than satisfactory.

Other foreign tour operators used the new road which was even more frustrating.

Barry.