We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice re Marsa Alam late October

Warrington, UK
Level Contributor
142 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice re Marsa Alam late October

Hi, I'm thinking of booking a holiday to Marsa Alam for October half term, last week in October. We are a family of 3 (two adults plus a four year old).

I really love snorkelling but am not used to swimming in choppy waters. Is this a problem in Marsa Alam at that time of year? If so, are there any other Red Sea destinations that may be suitable? We really don't want to go to Sharm - we're looking for a low key friendly destination.

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice re Marsa Alam late October

Hi,

We went last Oct half term and are going again this year to three corners. The sea was choppy last year but only one day where snorkelling was difficult. They have 3 entry points one of which is waist deep and not so choppy and you can still see amazing things (octopus for example!) some hotels are more sheltered as they are in little bays the sol y mar dar el madina for example. Ive heard that Fort arabesque in makadi bay has good snorkelling but ive not been there myself. I'm sure you will get a few suggestions.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice re Marsa Alam late October

thedgbys are right the marsa area is prone to windy conditions but hotels like Sol y mar dar el madina, Brayka bay are more sheltered also Lamaya.

I have been to Makardi bay and one of my friends is returning there for a 3 time in Oct. Stella Makardi and fort arabesque are recommended.Its a much larger bay with a few hotels each with their own part of the beach but has good snorkeling especially FA and is just far enough out of Hurgarda to be relaxing but if you want it only 30 mins by taxi.

Sg

Warrington, UK
Level Contributor
142 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice re Marsa Alam late October

Great - thanks both

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice re Marsa Alam late October

Hi we've been to makadi bay several times.Its lovley. The fort arabesqe has the best beach and is brill for snorkling. We stayed there 3 times now and like it.

5. Re: Need advice re Marsa Alam late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam