We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

Hi. We are considering visiting Marsa Alam next year. Last year we visited the Maldives and I fell in love with a place!!!! Budget wise we cant afford the Maldives for another year or so but looking at Marsa Alam photos for some reason seems to me the nearest we will get to the scenery of the Maldives. Has anyone ever visited both places and if so how are they similar? PS I dont snorkel or dive so that aspect doesnt bother me. Just would love to visit somwhere quiet and peacful with lovely scenery.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

have been to both areas several times and sorry but you are comparing apples with oranges.

Marsa will suit the quiet and peaceful element but the landscape is very different in that is very arid and dry not green except in the hotel gardens.

It is hotel based unless you take tours and trips or go to port ghalib. Otherwise there is little to do other than lounge about, swim, snorkel or dive.

Depending on which island you went to in the Maldives an egyptian 5 -4 * is more like a maldivian 3* resort.

We go as i am a diver and partner is an avid snorkeler and its a good subsitute for the maldives at half the price and you rarely get masses of people on the sites.

Sg

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

Thank you. We stayed on Meeru but next time we visit would like to try a more traditional smaller Maldavian island.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

What a shame to go to the Maldives or Marsa alam and not snorkel or dive.

Southampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

For scenery you can not compare the Maldives and Marsa Alam. Been to both. However for a reasonably priced holiday I would have no problem recommending Marsa Alam. You can stay at Port Galib and have a short transfer from the airport or have a journey of up to 2 hours to lovely hotels. Your choice. Some good ones in Port Galib and some good ones further afield.

Definitely quiet though.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

I've fairly recently returned from Marsa Alam and I've visited the Maldives twice (and returning this summer). Apart from the undersea life there is no comparison at all. Marsa Alam definitely does not have what I would consider to be lovely scenery - it is surrounded by rocky desert. To me, the only reason to visit Marsa would be to snorkel or dive. Otherwise there is nothing there. But, if you want a lounging on the beach/by the pool holiday then it will suit. Personally I did not find it very peaceful because the hotel catered for mass market and families and I think most hotels there do. Yes, we enjoyed our holiday - but mainly because of the sea life. But - a poor substitute for the Maldives in terms of tranquillity and beauty.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

Hi. My husband snorkels and dives but I dont as I am a non -swimmer. I just loved the Maldives as I thought they were like another planet. My husband took photos from under the water and I just looked at those!

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

PS cakestin when in the summer are you visiting the Maldives? It would be easier for us to visit in summer but how will the weather be?

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

Westieman

The summer is the wetter season but prices are cheaper by several hundreds . I used to go at end of may / June but you do take a risk on the weather but in 6 holidays of two weeks each , we never had a full day of rain, but did have overcast days, rain in afternoon or evening but i think its worth it.

Sg

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

Oh thanks. Will take a look at the prices for then. May be able to afford to go sooner than we think!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marsa Alam and the Maldives!

We've been the two middle weeks of July. The first year we had pretty bad weather for the first week - mainly cloudy, windy and a fair amount of rain. But most days it didn't stop us snorkelling and it was still beautiful. Last year we only had two half days of rain and the rest of the two weeks was glorious sunshine. I can only go in school holidays so Summer is the best time for us.

Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam
Recent Conversations