We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Hi all,

I learnt to dive in Dahab a few years ago and am hoping to take my 12 year old daughter next Spring to teach her to snorkel (and I am probably more excited about it than she is!).

Obviously this time round I would like a more 'family orientated' resort with fantastic snorkeling, doesn't need to have a kids club as such, I am sure she will be more interested in pools and reading her books etc. Ideally I would love snorkeling from shore rather than a pontoon, I am going to teach her to snorkel in a pool before we go but I can see the deep water being an issue.

Must be AI and I really don't want a resort where you are hassled for trips, massages etc, just somewhere clean and comfortable.

I am trying to do this at least partly in school holidays and budget is around £2k for the three of us for a week.

I loved the look of the Iberotel Coraya but it's hugely over budget, would the Lamaya be a good alternative?

Have also posted on the sharm forum.

Thanks in advance!

Jody

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Jody fancy seeing you here .lol

Lamaya is in a good location near the airport and a sheltered bay . Haven't stayed there but was booked in once ,got cancelled with snow at gatwick !

Brayka Bay and the new Brayka Royal are in a sheltered bay too , stayed at the former . New Royal is not yet fully open and maybe work going on still .

Abu Dabbab is a great location ,best bay in the Marsa Area with good reefs at North and south end . sea grass in centre with turtles . Very sandy and gentle slope . Two Hotels . Sol Y Mar Abu Dabbab on Southern end of bay and The new Hilton at Northern end but not right on the beach .

New concord Moreen in next Bay north should be ok too .

www.emperordivers.com/marsa-alam-diving.php

Luke is on here from emperors fairly regularly and they are based there I believe.

Most other hotels are jetty access to the reef drop-off but some have a shallow area /small lagoon off the beach to bathe in .

Sg2 will probably add some input soon as she is a regular here too .

How long till Reethi ?

Andy

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

It's a small world sometimes isn't it Andy! I often find it amusing how many of us tend to visit the same place.....

Did look at the Sol Y Mar but was a little worried about the rude visitors from further north than us (I shall not point the finger!) and people saying how busy the bay was...am guessing that will be an issue wherever we go with at least some of it being in school holidays.

Saw the Moreen advertised earlier on FC I think, will have to see how the reviews go....got a couple in Sharm also high on the list (ROBB and CMLSS) but not in a rush to book yet as got lots of people wanting deposits for various things.....

27 days till Reethi.....not that I am counting!

On and I am still waiting for these Athuruga pics......... ;-)

Royston
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Re the lamaya -

We stayed in the sol y mar dar el madina (opposite it) so can tell you about the area.

There is a water park next to the sol y mar that is free for the lamaya to use, nice selection of slides.

There is an arcade of shops mainly to the side of the sol y mar and a bank and exchange machine outside the lamaya.

The beach has a very gentle slope with the snorkelling tending to be to the sides of the bay. There is a rope which might be useful for a beginner to hold on to. Fish come right in to the shallows. You can see some really nice fish there.

There is plenty of room on the beach.

If you think of anything you think of that you want to know just ask.

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

uploading some island pics as we speak, still got to fine tune the underwater ones .ikelite and ixus worked fine ,some better pics than othere . Mainly used semi auto , wb is auto on that but fiddled with iso a bit . Some to dark .tried manual a bit but fiddly . Best results where when the natural light was just right

Andy

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Andy Dont encourage her LOL!

Jody - Andy and Dgbys have covered most of the ones i would suggest , but

I do like the look of Moreen and so far the non english reviews look good also Emperor rate its reef (critical for us :-) )

Friends going to Resta Grand / Reef in couple of weeks so he may do a reccy for us LOL

Not talking about cameras and housing at the mo, but managed to secure a back up set for Lundy this weekend :-)

if you want a chat you know how to get hold of me on FB.

Sg

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
430 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Hi it's Luke from Emperor Divers Marsa Alam and Oceans Red Sea Marsa Alam

I'm glad Moreen is starting to generate a bit of a buzz, of course I can't say too much on the forum but we are very happy to be located there and look forward to the diving feedback we will get. For this thread though I will have to be honest about the snorkeling options. It is more of a Sharm, or Halg bay, ie a V shaped break in the reef, not a Marsa, so it means that while there are shallow areas to paddle in, when you get to the reef proper it drops off quite sharply. there are fantastic snorkel options available, but due to the fact that you want a sandy slope for the little 'un some of the other options mentioned may be more appropriate. Also, in stronger winds (which can happen anytime down here), you would have to use the jetty to access the protected water whcih you stated you would not want to use. If you want to ask me any specific questions please PM me and I will do my best to help, or ask on here, either way.

All the best,

Luke.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
430 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Oh and it's a shame you're not talking cameras and housings at the moment sg, give me a shout when you are and I'll tell you about my new toy :) Enjoy Lundy, have you been before?

Luke.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

Hi Luke, thanks for the info - sorry for the late reply! Is there anywhere in Marsa you would recommend of should I turn my attention back to Sharm (the ROBB is still very much on my hotlist).

SG, you upgrading to an S95 yet?

I have been a very nice person and just lent my friends husband my FT2 and housing as they are now at Vilamendhoo and he doesn't have his own camera! I hope it comes back in one piece as I hate the thought of travelling without a back up!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

so this is where the Maldives regulars go while ther're saving up!!

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for family snorkeling holiday

You guessed it BB LOL

Luke - lundy was awesome! never been before but will return there. Photos on FB (friends with Emperor MA and Nuweiba) not brill but camera is an old lumix so not so familar with things.

Jodie -still awaiting on insurance, so got an ebay deal on a lumix and houseing for a back up and a few lessons Learnt LOL .

If you are still looking have a look at Fort Arabesque at makadi bay - snorkeling and divable house reef but plenty of coral lumps in shallows for kids, kept the OH happy :-)

Sg