We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resta Grand - November 13th

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Resta Grand - November 13th

Hi, Please could someone give any advice on the below?

How can i pay for excursions (Thomson)? Card/Money/which curency?

What time do the bars close?

I have already got some Egyptian pounds, however they are all 100 notes (Tesco!!). Can i change these at the airport/hotel?

Is it really windy? when does it get light and dark?

Is the sea as bad as eveyone says for snorkelling, i.e black flag all the time? on pictures ive seen on the internet lots of people are snorkelling in the lagoons/sea right next to the beach?

Finally, any excursion suggestions? Planning on scuba diving but not decided yet (never done it before)

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Keiron

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
430 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resta Grand - November 13th

Hi it's Luke from Emperor Divers Marsa Alam and Oceans Red Sea Marsa Alam . I'll try to answer your questions as best I can in the order you posted them:

Thomson prices are in GBP so it is best to have GBP cash. You can use a foreign currency or your card but you may be subject to losing out on exchange rates.

The pool and beach bars close at sunset, and the Marsa Clubhouse (main bar) is available to All Inclusive guests until midnight. You can still stay on and buy drinks after that point however.

Getting change is never easy but is always possible. Most people find they only come with 100LE notes from UK, but wherever you pay change will be available, although sometimes you have to wait. You'll be able to change for some small notes at reception if necessary, like for the last day to leave some tips for the housekeeper etc

Sunrise will be approx. 6am and sunset 4.45pm local time. In November you will be +2hrs GMT here.

It can get windy here. There is a really good wind forecast for this region found here: www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/marsa_alam we use it for our diving and boat trips, but it is really only useful for 3 days ahead. It also tells you sunset and sunrise times. Unfortunately if there is moderate to strong wind the open sea jetty will be closed - this is the 'black flag' that you mention. There are shallow lagoons available as you have seen from the pictures though that do have marine life in them and many people enjoy snorkeling in these. Also, most sea excursions take place in sheltered bays so are less susceptible to being affected by the wind, so usually it is possible to get some quality snorkeling or diving in during the week if you want to.

I'll leave you to find out about the excursions as I cannot comment about these on the forums. If you want some ideas on diving or sea trips then you should be able to click the links in the introduction line of this message to visit the TripAdvisor review pages of the companies I work for down here. If you want to private message me feel free, or if you ask any more questions on here its also fine.

Best regards,

Luke.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resta Grand - November 13th

We did a fab boat trip with Luke and swam with turtles and a dugong when we went in May.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
430 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resta Grand - November 13th

Thanks Josie, I remember because there were about 90 of you! (13 i think..) Do you have any plans to come back soon?

Luke.

4. Re: Resta Grand - November 13th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 09:16