We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving Marsa Alam

Which Marsa Alam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham
Level Contributor
41 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Diving Marsa Alam

Hi, 1 for the destination experts I think.

Which hotel would you recommend just for diving/snorkelling?

Would like relaxed hotel based non-guided house reef diving with the occasional trip (Dolphin House, Elphinstone etc).

Have just returned from Dahab and was dismayed by the dead and damaged coral.

Have fond memories of the house reef at Tulip resort 4 years ago with dolphins and turtles a common sight, but mostly we want colour and life ... any life!

All feedback is good feedback

Thanks

David

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

Try contacting Luke at Emperor Divers as I think they have just started to offer unguided diving on their house reef. Also seriously consider Elphinstone as this is a more advanced/ difficult dive.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 16:36
sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

David

Most hotels with reefs will allow you to dive unguided after a check with a buddy

Hotels i would consider Concorde Moreene which is now Emperors as is Resta Grand/ Reef.

Brayka Bay or Brakya Royal which is extra divers they have one of the best bays as entry to reef is shore.

If you want to Rough it slightly go to Marsa Shagra Red sea diving safari eco camps - they have a good house reef which is diveable several different ways.

From these elphinstone is a 10-20 min rib ride -

You could also look at the abu dabab and the hotels there but the bay is a popular day trip site

SG

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

Hi David it's Luke from Emperor Divers Marsa Alam . I won't give you any indirect info here as you have a few options from the above posters to explore. Feel free though to ask me any direct questions either here on this thread, or by Private Message. Steve, SG, thanks for the introduction as ever.

Best regards,

Luke.

leics
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

I spoke to a few Marsa-based scuba firms on Saturday at the Dive show in Birmingham. I'm going out there in four weeks time. One guy from a centre that advertises Marsa diving but is based to the north at El quesir said that if I was down there there was 'only one option, Emperor...'. Nice to hear as I'd planned to book with them and have used one of their other bases many times.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

It actually depends on what hotel you stay at , yes emperor is a popular choice as I think they have the most bases & often the preferred choice for Brits but I have dived with other schools in the area as have others so you have a choice think it depends on if not at a hotel where emperor is based you may not want the transfer times.

Sg

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

We recently stayed at The Hilton for the 2nd time. First time we dived with Emperor (hi Luke, didn't see you at the dive show?) and had no problem with them other than the early start and the 30 minute drive to and from the marina which meant with 2 boat dives, we were away from the hotel virtually all day. This time we dived with Diving Ocean (on site for Hilton and Sol Y Mar) and enjoyed unguided house reef diving at Abu Dabbab bay plus guided 2 local shore dives sites as well as Elphinstone which was a short bus ride and 20 mins in a rib. We were always back at the hotel in time for lunch, whichever site we used and for us a big plus. Will be posting a review soon with photo's.

We had no significant problems with either organisation.

Hope this helps

Cheers

PB

Durham
Level Contributor
41 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

Thanks everyone.

All seems good advice.

SG/Piston The transfer times aren't workable for me, diving in Sharm is spoilt by long tiring days away from the family for 2 dives.

Need a good house reef, where we can be flexible day by day.

Luke, I've dived several times with your colleagues in Sharm. Pleased to hear you now do house reef diving (thanks Steve). Will PM you for further details, thanks.

Alan, I'd be pleased to hear your comments on your return.

Thanks

David

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

Have been away diving in El Quseir when you posted . Can recommend any of the hotels in Coraya Bay , the British seem to favour the Iberotels Coraya Beach and Lamaya. Diving is with Coraya Divers I have a couple of reviews on Scubadviser. Would have loved to go there again to close my diving season but coudn't find a reasonable priced last minute deal however since the weather is still good out there and if something reasonable comes up .........

Farnham, Surrey
Level Contributor
87 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

Luke, be good to catch up with you - you're recommended by a couple of the instructors my son has been doing his JOW training with. Coming out to MA on 26 dec for a week and he has 2 skills on dive 4 (hover, kit removal and replacement at surface) left to do - the uk water has just been too old for a skinny 10 year old ! Would like to get his padi finished and then get some diving in, accompanied by you guys and his DM dad. Dad of course v happy to be in water support on dive 4. Can you help please ?

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving Marsa Alam

Hi and thanks for letting me know we're recommended! Of course we can help, I think your son will find it much warmer here! I taught in the UK for a good few years and the young, skinny kids always struggled with cold as the wetsuits were usually hanging off them and their lips started to go blue....when you're that cold, it's just not fun is it? Quite often we had to split the diving across a couple of weekends for them. As a PADI 5* centre we can continue your son's course as long as you bring the paperwork and it is in order, we can pick up where he left off (the most important piece is called PADI Open Water Diver Record and Referral Form - it may be a good idea to send me a scanned copy before booking anything so I can tell you whether it is complete, in date etc). As dad is a DM, he will be most welcome to help out on the course. After certification as a junior your son will have to dive with an adult and will have a depth limitation of 12mt (until he's 12 years old) and so dad can either take on this role as his father and a DM, or we can arrange for a private guide if dad wants to do some deeper diving for example. I'm going to private message you with a couple of email addresses. If you could email over the scan (if you want to) and let me know which day you would like to start, exactly how many people will be diving or coming on the boat as passengers, which hotel you will be staying at and how many days you think you will do after the first day then I can start to get a tailored quote put together for you.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Luke.