We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Protests

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Protests

Hey,

From the BBC it says:

"Britons have been advised to avoid all but essential travel to parts of Egypt amid mass protests about the country's leadership.

The Foreign Office advice covers all areas except Red Sea resorts in South Sinai and resorts on the Egyptian mainland in the Red Sea governorate."

Has anyone heard anything, I have no idea if my insurance covers this...!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Protests

Hi,

The FO site was updated late last night:

https:/…egypt

• Still current at:

2 July 2013

• Updated:

2 July 2013

• In view of the continued unrest in Egypt, the FCO recommends against all but essential travel to Egypt except for resorts on the Red Sea in South Sinai and those resorts on the Egyptian mainland in Red Sea governorate.

• British Nationals who are currently not in Egypt:

• In view of the continued unrest in Egypt, the FCO recommends against all but essential travel to Egypt except for resorts on the Red Sea in South Sinai and those resorts on the Egyptian mainland in Red Sea governorate.

• In the governorate of South Sinai the FCO advise against all but essential travel, with the exception of (i) the Red Sea Resorts including those in the entire region of Sharm el Sheikh, Taba, Nuweiba and Dahab; (ii) the St Catherine’s Monastery World Heritage Site; (iii) road travel between the Red Sea resorts; (iv) road travel from the Red Sea resorts to St Catherine’s Monastery approaching from the east; and (v) transfers between the resorts and the airports of Taba and Sharm el Sheikh. See South Sinai and Road travel.

• British Nationals in-country already in Egypt:

• Although we are not recommending immediate departure at the moment, British Nationals already in Egypt in areas where we advise against all but essential travel should consider whether they have a pressing need to remain. While in Egypt they should stay at or close to home or a place of safety (e.g. their hotel), keep a low profile and pay close attention to their personal safety, particularly in the larger cities. They should take particular care to avoid crowds. The situation is changeable and they should continue to watch our travel advice closely.

• We are not advising against the use of Cairo airport as a transit stop providing you do not leave the airport grounds.

end quote.

If you're heading out to Marsa, they're saying it's ok to do so.

Have a chat with your travel agent if you're concerned & also your insurance company. Unless the FO advice changes I doubt you'll be offered an alternative destination.

Regards

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Protests

Thanks for the reply. I saw the "resorts on the red sea" bit. That includes Marsa Alam I assume. Im leaving in 2 weeks, will have to see how it goes down.

I read through my insurance policy and it excludes all cancellations due to "civil unrest".

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Protests

Hi,

Yes it'll be classed as under the Red Sea Governorate.

Not much more you can do except keep an eye on things; not a great build up for your hols, when all you want to do is wind down & look forward to it!

:-(

Regards

Plymouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Protests

I am going to Sharm next May then flying to Luxor and doing a Nile cruise for 7 days.

What is the current goings on in Luxor does anyone know if its safe to travel there.

Im worried about booking a holiday now.

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,209 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Protests

Hi,

No-one can say what will be happening next year. It's "how long's a piece of string?"

All we can do is watch & wait. Frustrating, I know, as we'd hoped to be in Cairo & Luxor in October '13, doing a cruise between those points.

The FO clearly says (above) not to go to Luxor & flights have been cancelled today, by Thomson.

Regards

Edited: 03 July 2013, 09:51
Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Protests

Joe, if you are concerned it maybe an idea to PM Luke at Emperor Divers, he does come in here quite a lot, im sure he would give you a very up to date idea of what things are like there.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
436 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Protests

Hi Joe, it's Luke from Emperor Divers Marsa Alam and Oceans Red Sea Marsa Alam . As Steve says, I am 'on the ground', having lived and worked here in Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib for the last 4 years. The situation from a local point of view is the same as it was 2 and a half years ago through the first revolution, and that is we don't see or feel a thing. I like to think you could put it into a similar context of what it must have felt like for someone to be watching the 2011 London riots while living in Newquay - we just watch the TV and see the developments on the small screen like anybody else. The locals present in these Red Sea resorts are almost exclusively working in the tourism sector and are very welcoming therefore of tourists, and keen to ensure that there are no issues that could affect future business. You have to also remember that through the 2011 revolution, a carbon copy of the above travel advice was issued by the UK government and I don't think you will find a single tourist who traveled and regretted their decision to do so.

Things can change in any part of the world at any time, so it is always prudent to have good travel insurance when you go abroad and to keep up with current events. But right this second, I can state that Marsa Alam must rank amongst one of the safest places in the world.

Many thanks,

Luke.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Protests

I can only agree with Luke. We went to Marsa in the Mat after the 1st revolution and we were warmly welcomed. The locals in Marsa appreciated all the tourists for still coming despite the troubles in Cairo. We didn't notice any trouble at all in Marsa. Luke's analogy of the riots in Londn is a good one. Marsa is a long way away from Cairo and is purely a tourist resort. I know you will enjoy your time there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent Protests

Funnily enough I used the London riots analogy when I was talking to someone yesterday - we live only half an hour from London but were still completely unaffected! My partner and I will be travelling to Marsa at the end of August and my feeling at the moment is to keep up to date with developments but not to worry too much, the same as any visit abroad really!

Great that Luke is keeping us up to date from 'on the ground' as well though, that's really reassuring. Thanks Luke!

Liz

cheersmateStockport
Level Contributor
79 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent Protests

Just, today, returned from Marsa Alam, no problems at all. Think it is only affect Cairo.

Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam