We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

(day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
(day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

Only one week to go and then we are off to Nubean Hilton Marsa Alam.

We are really looking forward to it, hoping to see lots of sun and fish.

Maybe we want to do a daytrip, we where hoping to visit Luxor.

Does anybody know if an excursion by car/bus is possible, and of course is it safe to do now?

Any other ideas of (half)day trips are very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Annette

Mentioned in this post
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Luxor day tour from Marsa alam
1 Review
from US$153.50*
Free Cancellation
Day of Scuba Diving by Boat for...
7 Reviews
from US$95.20*
Free Cancellation
Marsa Alam Airport Private transfer...
from US$65.50*
Free Cancellation
Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

I haven't done the trip to Luxor but I almost went to Edfu to visit the temple (230 km or 3 hrs) when I stayed at the Oriental Bay Resort near Marsa Alam last November but couldn't find anyone else in the hotel to share the cost of the trip on that day Stevens Taxi Marsaalam.com had a desk at the hotel .

The distance from the Hilton Nubian to Luxor on the Marsa Alam - Edfu road is approx 360 km or 5 hrs one way ! Stay overnight in Luxor if you can.

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort
Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian...
4,851 Reviews
Marsa Alam, Egypt
Luxor
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

Yes I would also recommend Steven taxis as they have reasonable prices and good service .

Have a lovely time in Egypt

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

Thank you for your help. I already had contact with Steven, he said it,s safe to go. What do you think? Our government adviced only to travel by air.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

It is possible and safe but it is about 4 hours drive between Marsa Alam and Luxor

Mentioned in this post
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

The journey between Marsa Alam and Luxor is certainly safe in terms of security. I've made the journey myself a couple of times in the last year. The political situation generally in Egypt is a lot more stable than last summer and while there have been some disturbances in Cairo and Sinai, Luxor, Aswan, Marsa Alam and the south of Egypt remain much quieter and there have been no reports of any problems faced by the millions of tourists travelling to Egypt in the last few months.

The road across the desert from Marsa Alam to the town of Edfu on the Nile (which you pass through on the way to Luxor) is reasonably quiet (you will just see the occasional tourist bus or taxi) and fairly straight. Even the short section through the coastal mountains uses a wide wadi or valley and there are no hairpin bends as you might expect and no worrying drop offs. Instead the road keeps to the valley floor all the way up to the desert plateau. You will also pass a lot of amazing acacia trees that grow out of the sand even though there has been no rain for years but they have very deep roots which tap into the underground water table.

Once up on the plateau the desert road is mostly very straight with only a few bends. It is tarmacked the whole way and is of ample width for cars to overtake. Once you reach Edfu you are travelling along the Nile Valley and progress becomes much slower due to a large number of villages, junctions, pedestrians and all types of traffic including tractors, carts and lorries. The scenery however is fascinating and gives you a real insight into life in rural Egypt. It's also easy to stop at a roadside shop to buy drinks or a snack.

There are a few check points along the road but these should present no problem to anyone travelling in a properly licensed tourist vehicle. I went with Steven's limousine service. The journey took a good three hours each way but the car was modern, air conditioned and comfortable and Luxor is really a place you can't afford to miss. It's not just the history and the ancient sites but also the fascination of exploring the real Egypt by strolling through the busy souks or taking a felucca (sail boat) along the river and looking out across the fields. The price to get there and back was reasonable and more importantly the driver was considerate and drove very safely and didn't treat the road as if it was a race track. You can find Steven's contact details on Marsa Alam dot com which also gives a lot of details about the trip to Luxor. I've now done the trip about five or six times during the last three years and I can definitely recommend them in terms of reliability, comfort and safety.

Mentioned in this post
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

Thank you very much for your interesting post. Very helpfull. We are leaving tomorrownight and will do the daytrip to Luxor with Steven. Really looking forward to it

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,074 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

Be aware that if you do something your government has advised you not to your travel insurance will not be valid.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

I'm not sure the position of all governments regarding their travel advice. I'm from the U.K. and the British Foreign Office is not advising against any travel in southern Egypt (by which I mean all of Egypt south of Qena) and it regards both roads (whether via Edfu or Qena) linking Marsa Alam with Luxor as reasonably safe - you can check their advice on this page and on their map on the same page.

https:/…egypt

Some countries may have issued different advice but I would not be concerned with regards to the road between Marsa Alam and Luxor. Foreign Offices, including that of the U.K. which now considers the route safe, tend to be highly overreactive. I've never felt in danger on this route and even travelled it in February 2011 during the uprising without any concern. I would certainly not be at all worried at this moment about travelling along the same route. Also I think most countries now recognize the resort of Marsa Alam itself and the city of Luxor as being safe for tourists so for most tourists there should be no issue of insurance in the unlikely event of needing to claim for a theft or loss of any item at either place.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

Just a quick update.

Unfortunately we are already back home after a wonderful time in Marsa Alam.

We did the daytrip with Stevens Taxis to Luxor and had a perfect time.

Everything was arranged very well. We had a comfortable car and a perfect driver George.

Thank you Steven, George and the guide in Luxor for a wonderful day.

In Shallah we come back next year and will definitily contact Steven again.

Mentioned in this post
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: (day)trip by road to Luxor safe/possible?

As a fellow frequent visitor to Marsa Alam I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and hope you will feel less worried next time about travelling in Egypt. I'm sure Egyptians everywhere would have welcomed you as a tourist and next time when they see you again you'll be welcomed as an honorary Egyptian. However one thing sometimes in short supply around Marsa Alam is "a comfortable car with a perfect driver" but I'm happy you managed to find one.

Mentioned in this post
Marsa Alam
Marsa Alam
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Get answers to your questions about Marsa Alam