We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

Which Marsa Alam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

Ok, so I'm seriously thinking about booking a week in Marsa Alam for early September so that I can dive at the wonderful Wadi Gimal National Park & Hamata islands.

I'm just a bit worried about the temperature. I've been to Sharm at the end of August when it was consistently around 40 degrees centigrade and I found that to be hot but doable given the low humidity and constant sea breezes. All the sites online seem to say Marsa only gets to 35C in the summer which is less than Sharm. One reputable site however said Marsa reached 46C yesterday and 44C today….IN MAY! Surely that can't be correct!?

It just seems logical that Marsa would be even hotter than Sharm though given its proximity to the scorching western deserts and the fact it's inside the tropic of cancer, 200 miles further south than Sharm. Since there's barely any Marsa Alam weather information online, has anyone else been in the summer months and how does it compare to Sharm weather-wise? Does it reach the mid forties and is there much humidity?

Thanks

Cheshire
Level Contributor
365 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

I have been to Sharm in August and Hurghada in August, i went to Marsa alam in August last year and did feel it was more bearable, dont know why it just did?

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

We normally go sep/oct time and Marsa was a lot more bearable than Sharm theres a lovely breeze from the sea in Marsa, don't get burnt tho! Have fun wish u was going back soon I loved Marsa

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

Like others rend to head here in sept/October as others say there tends to be a slight sea breeze which makes things more bearable , but if it drops then it can be boiling.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

Depends how you manage heat. September is a great time to go, in the first week expect temp around 35°C at mid day and 27 at night, sea still very warm 29, humidity can go to 60% at night and it's always windy down there.

The " Marsa Alam Hotel Stretch" extends for approx. 100 km from the Gorgonia Beach Resort near Wadi Gimal to the Three Corners Sea Beach Resort near Marsa Alam International airport .

surf-forecast.com/breaks/Marsa-Alaam/seatemp

windfinder.com/forecast/wadi_lahami_hamata

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

Hi Ben it's Luke from Emperor Divers Marsa Alam and Emperor Divers Hamata . I think you have enough information regarding the weather now from the good posts above, however I just wanted to point out that for diving the Hamata islands (and Fury Shoals reef system) you need to be based further south than Marsa Alam and should look for Hamata / Berenice as a destination. Hiker rightly mentions the Gorgonia, this would be the most North hotel available for diving the areas you mention and is poised well for Wadi Gemal but not so much for Hamata reefs. There are 4 hotel choices for Hamata proper, and one other for Wadi Gemal, let me know if you want more info. and I will happily provide.

All the best,

Luke.

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

Hiker I know you'll like this as a fan of the region - I too spent a bit of time wondering how far the Marsa Alam 'region' streches according to hoteliers. The most Northern hotel I could find still advertising themselves as Marsa Alam is Dreams Beach, and the most Southern Shams Alam, a total of 156km! Unbelievable really and no wonder new arrivals to the destination are quite confused...

Cheers,

Luke.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

There is a large (rusty) road side board a few km North of the Sea Beach which reads "Welcome to El Quseir" . The Quseir territory extends from here to about Club Magic Life Kalawy ( where the railway tracks cross the road )

Marsa Alam, Egypt
Level Contributor
408 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

Yes quite, but the hotels do not necessarily play ball according to official regions. They will list their hotel as 'Marsa Alam' so as to benefit from the fact Marsa Alam has it's own airport. 2 guests could be sitting 156km apart from each other, both having been told and therefore thinking that they are in Marsa Alam, when neither of them are.

Cheers,

Luke.

9. Re: Marsa Alam in September… too hot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:16