We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top of world highway and accomodations

Owen Sound Ontario...
3 posts
Save Topic
Top of world highway and accomodations

I will be teaveling to Alaska in July with my wife. We will be traviling by motorcycle. I was wondering if accomodations could be found with only short motice, as we will travel depending on weather and attractions along the way. Has anyone traveled the top of world highway to Dawson City and let me know how rough the road conditions are,gravel rocks paved etc.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top of world highway and accomodations

July is prime time, so the further ahead you book the better, but you'll find something even a day ahead.The Top of the World is about half paved in total. The Canadian side was all paved about 10 years ago but is breaking up and not being re-paved, so gravel is prevalent again. The US side is gravel from the border to Chicken, then good pavement from there to Tok. The condition of the gravel, of course, depends on the recent weather and maintenance schedule - sometimes very good, sometimes very rough. I've taken my charter bus across well over 100 times since 1990, and now that I'm retired (as of last August) will be taking a leisurely trip across in my Subaru this year. explorenorth.com/library/…topofworld.html for more.

Murray

Hamilton, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Top of world highway and accomodations

Hello there rakeleaves,

nice to hear other bikers will be on these rough roads. I will be riding with a club member across Canada into Alaska, taking the Top of the world Hwy to Chicken and then to Tok, Haines onto Ferry which will drop us off at Prince Rupert and on to Post Falls ID.

We are bringing tents, just in case !!!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Haines
Haines
Alaska
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top of world highway and accomodations

The Top of the World highway is incredible.......we drove our subaru also, but stopped often......you will really appreciate the scenery on a bike......Gravel part of the highway should not be too rough, but may be a little dusty......

The Snowshoe motel in Tok has rooms (all the rooms) which consist of two bedrooms connected by a bath with TV, fridge and microwave.......nice and clean and quiet.......

Once we just walked in without reservations, but for peace of mind, I would reserve the previous day.....

Be sure to have dinner at the Salmon BBQ, all you can eat salad, BBQ salmon or halibut or reindeer sausage......

Hamilton, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Top of world highway and accomodations

Thanks so much mombear...I just love it. I am a Grandmother of 63 belonging to a Women's Motorcycle Club on tour to our Convention destimation and all these little tips will be so helpful !

See you on the road, the Starider.

5. Re: Top of world highway and accomodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Tok