We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

Alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

I live here in Tok, Alaska so if you want to know anything about Tok or the area around here then I could answer your questions.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

Hi Cherish

We always stay in Tok as our halfway stop to Anchorage.....nice little community and decent weather in the summer.....but since you asked for questions, how about.....what in the heck do you guys do during the winter ?.....On the news Tok is often the coldest place in the state....is it possible to stay outside at -30+ temps ?

bequia
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

Tee Hee! I have stopped a few times in Tok myself and thought the same ... nice place to visit but WHAT to do in winter? I asked a few people I met in my Alaska travels when they said they were from Tok and they admitted that they spend their winters in milder Fairbanks. True?

Alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

I personally don’t got out unless I have to once it hits -55 anything above that we still do a lot. I have two small kids that love to be outside they hate being in doors. I usually spend fifteen minutes getting them dressed and if it is -20 to -40 they stay outside playing for fifteen to thirty minutes and then they are back inside for a cup of cocoa and we repeat the whole process. I love to outdoors so we snow machine and go sledding a lot. I also own a lot of board games and puzzles for the kids. We still do the turkey bowl around thanksgiving though and the whole town gets together at the school a few times for meals. I admit that there is a lot more to do in the summer but we keep busy. I have one of my boys in school during the winter so that helps now but in a couple of years he will be home schooled so I guess there is always something to do. If you ask most people from Tok they will tell you they have a lot of hobbies and things that keep them busy when they have to be indoors. I knit, cross-stitch, puzzles, word games, video games, computer, and I write. When I worked for the post office here it was worse because I had to go to work no matter what the temperature was. Most places here have cut off temp for work and school. We had a horrible storm here and it was -73 and I still had to go to work. My car got blown into a snow bank at the intersection it was cold with the wind blowing it even made my lungs hurt.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

Hi there, I'm from Cambridge England. My daughter Abi and family live in Tok on Catherine's Place. They go to one of the Church's and their daughter Ellana is home schooled. I'm quite worried about them this winter, as their wood-burner heating system hasn't been fully installed yet. I've heard there is just one plumber and his son? It's hard for us in England, as trying to help them (because of the distance) is so difficult. They are also very independent and Abi is a great survivor. She's been storing up wild fruits and baked goods. But they haven't got into the hunting yet, so no Moose meat or fish. They love the life out there (they came out there 18 months ago) and are prepared to fight it out against all odds. But as a 'clucky' mother I worry! Katy

Alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

I do know your family here and the plumber is my father in law and my husband. I wouldn't worry about them they are here to stay. People with that kind of thinking usually always make it here. I think that they are in good hands here, I know that their church family here will give them all the moral support they need. My father in law is also the pastor at their church Chapel of the North. I know all parents worry that is just part of the job I should know I have two little boys. Hope that I will get to meet you one day if you ever come to vist.

Cherish

Michigan
Level Contributor
442 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

What is the proper pronunciation of 'Tok'?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

Toke rhymes with coke.........

Michigan
Level Contributor
442 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

Thanks...I was thinking it was 'tock' as in 'sock'.

I don't want to sound like a tourist! :)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,025 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

Okay, so I had to get out my map...

I thought I remembered Tok being a crossroads point on the Alcan Highway so you probably get a fair amount of traffic through town in the summer?

DH and I want to drive our pickup/camper to Fairbanks via Tok....but we might go visit mombear's territory, too. Don't know if we'll get it done this year but it's been a dream of ours. We are out of halibut so DH says it's time to go! ;)

We would fly again as there are some great deals but that is one reason we bought our camper...besides we can hardly stand to leave our little doggie behind for that long.

Sounds like Tok is the type of small, close-knit, hardy community we all imagine when we think of Alaska.

So is there anything in particular you think we should see or do in your area in the summer or early fall?

Where would be a good place to camp? Is there a campground with hookups? We usually prefer not to stay in a developed campground unless it's forest service or something like that, but occasionally it's nice to have the hookups.

Alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming through Tok, AK? I can help!

There are alot of good places to stay here. If you want hook ups then Golden Bear, Tok RV, Fast Eddy's.

If you don't that opens the whole world to you. There are alot of places that will let you park here and if you stop in the visitors center they will give you lots of info on the places that you will want to go. Most people will park their RV and ride bikes or walk their dogs around the town you could see most all of Tok in a few hours. I like the moose at All Alaska Gifts they have alot of animals their that are worth seeing same with the visitor center.

Get answers to your questions about Tok
More Tok Topics