We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

Which Valdez hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Keller, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

Any suggestions for types of fishing we should look at , charter or stream? B & B or motel? We will be driving in from Anchorage in a rental car and stay for 3 days.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

In August you should be able to fish from the bank for salmon......charter boat will take you out to fish for halibut......we did a half day trip and it seemed like we had to travel out about an hour each way just to get to where the halibut were......There is a place near the docks that will clean and freeze your catch to either mail home or take with you.........

The motels are all downtown near the harbor and walking distance to restaurants........B&B's can be further away......Wild Roses by the Sea gets glowing recommendations but I have not personally stayed there.......

Valdez is a great place, I'm glad that you are allowing enough time to enjoy the area !

Keller, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

Thanks Mombear! That is a ton of good info. I assume rentals for salmon fishing equipment are all around? Do you know how many hours of daylight there are in August? This is my first time to Alaska- weather for this time of year? Rainy and cool or somewhat warm? How far is Haines? I just googled your town and it looks so cool, I might come there. Thanks in advance for help, Terry

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

These are the folks we rented our fishing trip, through....

http://fishcentral.net/ ........really helpful guys, they saved our bacon when the owner of a remote cabin we were planning to rent and boat out to had an emergency and was a no-show.......these guys, called around to friends of theirs who owned similar cabins and talked one of them into renting it to us for the week, even took us out there........ so, yeah when we got back to Valdez, of course we booked the halibut fishing through them......

You will probably have about 18 hours of daylight in Valdez in August and it could be rainy or sunny.......one thing for sure it won't be as hot as it will be in Texas !!.......Been there, done that !

Keller, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

That's great to know about fishcentral - lol on the Texas heat! Would you say there are a lot of tourist in Haines compared to Valdez? And how does the fishing compare?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

Haines and Valdez are both about the same size, population wise......we have a cruise ship that ports here once a week, Yukoners travel south to Haines to fish, some even have small freezers in the back of their trucks, quite a few motor home travelers who are doing the AlCan Highway.....so more tourists in general probably.......Fishing is pretty good out along the Chilkat and Chilkoot Rivers, bears out there, too......Don't know about charters, though as we use our own boat.......

Cruise Ship Day in Haines is usually Wednesday......so you can avoid those crowds by a little planning.........

But, we really loved Valdez.....gorgeous scenery, waterfalls......nice hiking trails.....quiet water to kayak in out to the glacier.......cute sea otters and for what ever reason, I remember there were bunnies all around downtown......

Rocky Mount, North...
Level Contributor
94 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

I stayed at the Best Western and it was really nice.

Keller, Texas...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

Any input on kayakeing rentals or tours out of Valdez ? Has anyone taken an ATV tour on the way from Anchorage to Valdez? Copper Center maybe or Wrangell?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
32 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

Valdez is small. You don't have to worry about if you are near the harbor. My favorite B&B in Valdez is "Blessing House". The owners are relaxed, the breakfast is serve yourself. You have use of the fridge & kitchen, there's a store a couple of streets away. We buy stuff for dinner and cook it there. They even have a variety of DVDs to watch (family movies, documentaries).

http://www.blessinghouse.com/blessinghouse/

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
17 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

Here's a web site you can get sunrise/sunset info: www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp. This is the home page. Click on U S states, then select Alaska and select you city from the pop up menu. You have several selections beyond the defaults. And FWIW, Aug 1, 20113 has daylight length 17h 7m, and 8/31 is 14h 23m. We're also planning an August trip and will on the Whitier - Valdez on 8/15 is all goes well. I'm also considering Wild Rose B&B, but will take a look at Blessing House.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing and lodging in Valdez for late August 2013

I have kayaked with Pangaea several times out if Valdez on single and multi day tours. Great company and an amazing time paddling around huge glaciers. I used Backcountry Adventures for a glad day ride to Knik Glacier. U believe that was around Palmer. If you were planning on doing an atv ride then drive to Valdez it wound make for a very long day. I wouldn't advise it( bring in a time crunch is never enjoyable). I have stayed at Wild Roses By the Sea a few times as well. She's a great hostess, makes an amazing breakfast, and the fees from her home are amazing. Happy planning.