We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valdez Versus Seward

Newport News, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Valdez Versus Seward

We are visiting Alaska for 18 nights in July/August. I had planned on 2 nights in Valdez and 2 nights in Seward. I just realized that the ferry doesn't go to Whittier on the day we had planned on going from Valdez to Seward. I need to either change my reservations to 1 night in Valdez and 3 nights in Seward OR 3 nights in Valdez and 1 night in Seward. Can someone advise which would be the best option? I've already got all my lodging reserved and it would be hard to move any of the other nights around.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

If you were bent on the ferry you could do it in the opposite direction. After your visit on the Kenai Peninsula take the ferry from Whittier to Valdez and spend the night there. Then drive north for Fairbanks on the Richardson. From Fairbanks down the Parks Hwy

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

Sorry about that ferry (or lack thereof)! Looks like a rare gap when I looked at the schedule.

So since you have already made your hotel reservations, is this what you have:

July 20 Anchorage

July 21 Anchorage

July 22 Valdez

July 23 Valdez

July 24 Seward

July 25 Seward

July 26 Homer

July 27 Homer

July 28 Soldotna

July 29 Palmer

July 30 Healy

July 31 Healy

Aug 1 Healy

Aug 2 Fairbanks

Aug 3 Fairbanks

Aug 4 Talkeetna

Aug 5 Anchorage

Aug 6 Anchorage

Aug 7 Fly home

It is all doable, except that would be a long drive from Valdez to Seward.

Do any of your reservations around Valdez have a good cancellation policy?

Perhaps you will simply have to cancel Valdez since the ferry is not running that Wednesday.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 21:24
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

Or cancel Anchorage hotel on the 21st, drive to Valdez to spend the 21st & 22nd, get a ferry reservation for the 23rd & the add on a night in Seward on the 23rd.

Check out the ferry schedule first of course.

You have more than enough time in Anchorage with 3 other nights there. Since you have 4 nights reserved, hopefully the hotel in Anchorage will give you a cancellation break.!

Newport News, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

denalicat--I did as you suggested. We're staying in Anchorage for the 1 night upon arrival, moved my days in Valdez up, taking the ferry on the 23rd and added a night in Seward. Luckily all these reservations were at chain hotels so it was simple to change them on line without any cancellation charges.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I've only used the forum once before for a hotel recommendation. I didn't realize how much help this forum could be. Next big trip I'm going to post a tentative itinerary on here first and ask for suggestions before I book any reservations.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

Glad you were able to work it out.

You're going to get to see a lot of Alaska! I think you will appreciate the drive to Valdez as it is so beautiful.

Plus, an extra night in Seward will give you 3 days there, which is great.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

denalicat - did you suggest Soldotna as an overnight, or did he. It is only about 75 miles from Homer and Palmer can be reached easily in a day's drive from Homer.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

Any comments on Valdez Columbia glacier tour or kenai fjord tour? Trying to decide on time in seward or Valdez. We have about ten days. Flying into anchorage. Renting a car. I was thinking ANC to seward then Whittier to Valdez then up to st Elias park, etc. then cross denali highway (I know no rental cars) then back down to ANC. That is high level.

My question is whether to take the seward tour or Columbia glacier tour. The ferry trip is about $300 for us so thinking now to just drive to Valdez and skip seward. I know both are nice so hard to decide. Or visit exit glacier and drive that scenic hwy towards seward and stay around there. But then drive to Valdez and do that glacier tour.

Frankly it seems like if I do one tour in seward I won't need to do one in Valdez.

I want to do a glacier tour and see the wildlife. My 12 yo son is prone to seasickness but I want to see the wildlife and glaciers. Was wondering if seward there may be more open water for rough seas versus Valdez more calm and less rough?

What is better overall for glaciers and wildlife: Valdez or seward?

I know a lot of questions but appreciate feedback.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

Betsy - It sounds like you cannot decide what one you like. Kenai Fjords is good. Haven't done any out of Valde. You mention visiting Wrangell-St Elias NP. What is there you want to visit? If the park is something other than going to (my opinion) I would forget it and Valdez and concentrate elsewhere.

As for glaciers without getting seasick you could visit Matanuska Glacier along the Glenn Highway.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

Thanks K2iks. We want to see wildlife and glaciers (thus the trip to Alaska!). The Kenai Fjords looks like it would meet both those requirements. But Columbia Glacier also looked nice.

I want to see us to see wildlife on the water, am thinking now of just the shorter boatride to see wildlife.

I will check out the Matanuska Glacier too for possibility.

And I am trying to decide what "loop" to drive and it looked like including Wrangell-St Elias NP would be interesting. I am interested in the kennicot mines, and of course the beauty of the mountains.

Are you saying forget about the Wrangell NP and Valdez, and concentrate elsewhere?

I know I am asking for basic questions. I am in the research mode now. Ordered the milestone book, and also will get a guide book fodors or lonelyplanet, etc.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Valdez Versus Seward

The Wrangell-St Elias NP includes a big mountain range, but is not llike your Yosemite where facilities are available. Kennicott is more or less included but is a long drive in (70 miles of unpaved road). The railway (now the road) back to the mines shut down in 1938.

The Milepost will be off great help to you and we used it in planning our 1994 trip when we drove up from Sacramento.

John (formerly from Carmichael)