We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iditarod Headquarters or Seavey's

las vegas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Iditarod Headquarters or Seavey's

We will be in Anchorage and driving up to Denali then later in the week going down to Seward to catch a cruise. Which Dog Sled place Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla or Seaveys in Seward would be best to visit I do not think we would want to do both. The on in Wasilla seems to be much less expensive but is the Seward on a lot better?

3 replies to this topic
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iditarod Headquarters or Seavey's

What is the purpose of your visit? If to take a dogsled ride, Seavey's has to be better. The Iditarod HQ is just a short (very short!) ride. I think we paid $5 each when we did it 2-3 years ago.

Earlier this month I stopped by GB Jones' kennel (a bit further down the road from the Iditarod HQ). He ran in the Iditarod 3-4 times, the last time being this year. He doesn't really give "tours" or rides, but it is a very authentic and "unpolished" kennel. The historic Iditarod trail runs right alongside his kennel. And there is hardly a more unpretentious and kind musher than GB.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 22:34
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iditarod Headquarters or Seavey's

And I agree with mombear in requesting that you keep future questions about a single trip in the same thread. Certainly there are exceptions, but check the Top Questions about Alaska for reasons why it is so helpful to us volunteers when you do that.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iditarod Headquarters or Seavey's

We just returned and visited both of these spots. At the Iditarod Headquarters there were about 12 dogs and 4 puppies. There was also short trail that the dogs would pull you in a cart, I do not recall the price but it was reasonable. The Seavey's tour was $69 1hour and a 1/2 long and the sled ride was probably almost 30 minutes long. They had a 100 dogs and a few puppies. We felt that we did not get enough time with the dogs at Seaveys. Our favorite tour was Martin Buser's Happy trail kennel in Big Lake North of Wasilla. It was $38 and we were there for 2 hours. No ride but they do harness the dogs to a Sled and take them for a run. We also learned more about the race from Martin than anyone else.

Reply to: Iditarod Headquarters or Seavey's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted