We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Anchorage area, need some pointers, please

Sorrento, FL
Level Contributor
90 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Anchorage area, need some pointers, please

We are a party of 8, 2 couples 50ish and 4 ladies 80ish. We are flying in on June 8th and catching a cruise ship on the 10th. We are coming from FL and TX and will keep Sat evening open, maybe walk around Anchorage and have a nice dinner. We are booked for 2 nights at the Ramada and have rented 2 cars from Avis, so we can drop them at the port in Whittier.

On Sun. we hope to head north, maybe get as far as Talkeetna, and return in the same day. Because we have 2 cars, we don't all have to stay together, but want to go in same general direction. Several of us would like to go to a kennel and possibly dog sled. We don't want to spend $500 to fly to a glacier and dogsled there, would prefer something a little more authentic and less expensive (up to $100 or so per person).

Any suggestions as to kennels, maybe in Wasilla ?

Monday we are driving the Seward Highway, plan on stopping at the Wildlife Conservation Center. One of our older ladies isn't too mobile, so most sightseeing will have to be done close to car, any suggestions as to don't miss drive by's ?

2 of us are photographers, any special spots we should watch for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

12 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 2 days in Anchorage area, need some pointers, please

There are numerous places we see Mt. McKinley from Anchorage. But here are two places to check for the mountain being out from town:

denali101.com/denalinationalpark/see_mt_Mcki…

Edited: 09 January 2013, 16:24
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 2 days in Anchorage area, need some pointers, please

I don't know but spending $1800 pp for balcony wouldn't concern me on finding a cheap hotel in Anchorage. I don't find needing to be out of hotel room at 11 and sitting around for shuttle pickup at noon wasting time as often it is earlier than that. But, as for things to do in Whittier the day the ship departs has been discussed here often in the past as the ship leaves late.

The drive along the Turnagain Arm is interesting. We did this Saturday morning as day was breaking. There were huge chunks of ice all aound and the night skiing lights at Alyeska (Girdwood) were visable. Made me envy my skiing days (ancient history)

Reply to: 2 days in Anchorage area, need some pointers, please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted