We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wildlife and whale watching

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
wildlife and whale watching

My husband and I are interested in taking a boat cruise out of Whittier to see whales and wildlife. We enjoy photography and viewing wildlife.

I have read good things about Major Marine tours and also about Captain Gerry with Sound Eco Adventures. We are interested in taking the whale-watching trip with Sound Eco. Has anyone taken it?

We arrive in Anchorage on May 29 and see that he has an opening on June 1. Also noted that he has wildlife & whale watching combos.

We may take a wildlife tour with Major Marine in Seward so that is why we thought about the whale-watching tour in Whittier.

Thanks for your help.

Would appreciate your experiences with any of the tours.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wildlife and whale watching

There have been several recent threads/posts on Capt Gerry/Sound Eco tours. A search will provide you with what you're looking for.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wildlife and whale watching

I've seen several posts lately about Sound Eco Tours but don't recall if they were specifically whale watching. Go to the Alaska forum and next to the SEARCH IN box, type " sound eco" using the quotes. That will bring up previous posts for you to look thru. The comments are always extremely positive.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wildlife and whale watching

I'm pretty certain I've answered this question at least once, probably more. I have done the whale watching tour, with the icy bay (glacier) add-on. It was fabulous!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wildlife and whale watching

Thank you all for your comments.

What a difference using quotation marks makes! Duh! I was typing in Eco Tours and got 2 comments. Using quotation marks I got 130. This is a learning process.

I really appreciate your help.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wildlife and whale watching

We did a whale watch tour with Gerry last summer. We didn't get to see too many whales, but that was because the whales didn't seem to want to play that day. We would spot one and it would immediately dive and disappear. But that's just how nature can be sometimes. But we lucked out and had a beautiful sunny afternoon, and I enjoyed just cruising around on the gorgeous Prince William Sound all day. Gerry is definitely a memorable character.

6. Re: wildlife and whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 21:16