We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Hi, 4 adults in their 50's will arrive on Monday May 27th in Whittier on NCL at 8a.m. and leave at 9p.m. I have seen many transfers from Whittier to Anchorage but we are looking for a return trip. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your assistance. Cathy

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Rent a car - Avis is next to the cruise docks. Should cost around $100 for a one-day rental. Through the tunnel and out to Portage, turn right on the Seward Highway, and you're in town in around an hour and a bit, reverse returning.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Hi, Thanks for your input, I've rented the car and wondered if you know how the timing works for the tunnel? Any other suggestions regarding what to see on the way to Anchorage or in Anchorage would be appreciated. We have varied interests so anything would be appreciated. Thank you again for replying. Cathy

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Tunnel schedule - …alaska.gov/creg/…schedule.shtml

The Seward Highway between Portage (where the Whittier road intersects) and Anchorage is one of the most beautiful highways in North America. It follows Turnagain Arm, basically a fjord off of Cook Inlet.

The first settlement you encounter after Portage is Girdwood, home to the Alyeska ski resort, various tourist attractions and a few decent places to eat. Past Girdwood, the road passes several scenic turn-offs, such as Beluga Point, McHugh Creek (and falls) and Potter Marsh, at the south end of Anchorage and home to many birds and not a few moose.

In Anchorage there's a wide selection of shopping in the downtown area, the Native Heritage Center, bike trails, museums, viewpoints - lots and lots. Have a look at the Tripadvisor listings for Anchorage.

Note May 27 is Memorial Day, a federal holiday, so (a) some things might be closed or on holiday schedules, and (b) traffic, especially on the Seward Highway, can be quite heavy. On your return to Whittier in the afternoon/evening, you'd be going against the bulk of the (returning long weekend) traffic, but the Seward Highway is two-lane, so be careful, watch out for the other guy, and give yourselves plenty of time.

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Thanks, once again for the valuable information, especially Memorial day, didn't even dawn on me. Your time is greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Cathy

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Under Top Questions on the Alaska forum is a listing of Scenic Drives. These 2 are for the Turnagain Arm area, south of Anchorage with map and suggested stopping points. The first one includes the Whittier tunnel.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

This one includes info on the Wildlife Conservation Center. The center takes in injured and orphaned wildlfe so a good stop if you want to see caribou, moose, bear, bison, etc.

www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Thank you very much, I will spend some time reading your links and add the good stuff to our itinerary. The information on here is a godsend. Thanks for your time. Cathy

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

When I Googled "trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back" I found these great suggestions. How very interesting!! We will be on the same ship, Cathy, and are def going to do the same!

Vicki and Ken :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Read the posting at this link for a bunch of information/things-to-do in the Whittier/Portage/Girdwood area:

http://goo.gl/lSnN2

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Hi, it's funny what a small world it really is. We just found out our friends are getting off the ship the day we get on it. I'm going to search your suggestions and I appreciate your time to share the info. Have a great trip, I'm really looking forward to it! Cathy

Pickering, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Whittier to Anchorage and Back

Hi, thanks for the link. I've read a number of your posts and have found your information most useful. I will definiely take my time and have a good look through. I don't want to miss anything!!! Cathy