We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer from whittier to anchorage

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Topic
transfer from whittier to anchorage

Do you suggest getting a transfer from the cruise line from Whittier to Anchorage, or could we schedule a reliable on ourselves online or is that too chancy?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

Who is we and what are you doing once you arrive in Anchorage?

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

There are two of us couples. We are just going to do our thing while in Anchorage. We just need info on a transfer to Anchorage.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

You have a couple of options - cruise transfer, train to Anchorage or hire a car which would allow you to stop for some sightseeing along the way. "Doing our thing" while in Anchorage - how long for? Will you need a car or are you going to take day trips?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

>>"Doing our thing" while in Anchorage - how long for?

Obviously sounds like it will be pulling teeth to truly help the OP.

"We just need info on a transfer to Anchorage."

Edited: 05 May 2013, 14:08
San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

I know about the train, rental car, and transfer. I can take a transfer offered by the cruise line, but wanted suggestions for other transfers such as those listed online. I was hoping to get suggestions for ones that are reliable. Our cruise disembarks at 12:30 a.m.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,095 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

I'm always curious when this question comes up.......and it does quite often......why do folks not want to take the cruise transfer ?.......

Granted it has been many years ago that I did an Alaskan cruise, but the transfer from Whittier was so convenient .......they loaded all of our luggage onto the train and we had a wonderfully scenic trip, delivering us right into downtown Anchorage........where we were shuttled by vans to our hotels......

Once in Anchorage you are free to "do your own thing".....and after being on a ship with crowds of other people for a week, you will be more than ready to get off on your own,LOL......

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

Of which transfers that are listed online would you like information?

Perhaps if you listed them, others could help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

I realize you just joined Trip Advisor this month, but hopefully we can help you to help us, that will in turn help you.

>>I know about the train, rental car, and transfer. I can take a transfer offered by the cruise line, but wanted suggestions for other transfers such as those listed online. I was hoping to get suggestions for ones that are reliable.

Why didn't you mention in your first post the options you already knew of? As denalicat suggested, why don't you list the ones you found online so we can help you better. We can't just list all the ones that are online - heck that is easy enough to find. We also are not a BBB - you can also find that online.

The more specific your question and the more info you give us, the easier it is to help you. I realize you said you only need info on the transfer, but if you were willing to give us more info, we can give you better advice. If you are directly flying out of Anchorage that evening or just have a couple of days after the cruise and are doing something else, that will help us. For example, maybe the rental car would be by far the best option for various reasons. But without having more info, who knows?!?

>>Our cruise disembarks at 12:30 a.m.

This is incorrect. The cruise arrive into Whittier at 12.30am but disembarkation won't start until about 7am.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

Don't expect to debark at 12.30 a.m. as far as I know the tunnel is closed at that time of night. And, the train leaves much later in the day (6.45 p.m.). Avis is the only rental agency available. The Princess shuttle is your best option and will drop you off at the airport or the convention center downtown. If you don't like those options I would suggest walk. However, I don't think foot traffic is allowed in the tunnel

Regina - Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transfer from whittier to anchorage

Hi Carol,

What date do you need the transfer for?

We're using AK Cruise Connect in early June. If you are travelling after that, I can post my experience when I get back in mid June. Or I can send you a Private Message at that time if you like. Let me know.

Joe

Get answers to your questions about Whittier