We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whittier as base for Pr William Sound and glacier tour

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Whittier as base for Pr William Sound and glacier tour

Greetings ALL: I've been taking in all of the advice and recommendations, as well as searching other relevant forums. Consensus appears to be Kenai Fjords Cruise-Tour over PWS Cruise-Tour, if only time for one of them. I plan on 7-8 days in this area of Anchorage and the Kenai peninsula (though 3 days likely to be consumed by venturing to Denali), then remainder of the two week trip in the area of Juneau/Glacier Bay/Haines. If I said that I was planning for a Glacier Bay Tour and then hopefully a Tracy Arm Fjord Cruise-Tour while in the Juneau leg of the trip, would that change any opinions of Kenai Fjords vs Prince William Sound? This will likely be the one and only trip to Alaska for me and my family together (mom+dad+2 adult children), will take place in mid-late July of 2014. I know I can't go wrong regardless the choice, in terms of the spectacular-ness of it all, but two weeks still requires fine tuning to the day, so as not to over-plan, given distances between destinations. I look forward to continued comments and recommendations.

Regards, FJFOhio

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whittier as base for Pr William Sound and glacier tour

You have repeatedly posted this question many times under different titles. Based on the title as Whittier for a base, be aware that Whittier is on the other side of a two-mile, one-way tunnel, with a $12 toll. We have stayed at the Inn at Whittier. We had no problem and think you will need two rooms.

Seward has many more accommodations to choose from (and more things to do than in Whittier).

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whittier as base for Pr William Sound and glacier tour

Yes, it makes it easier for all of us provide information and suggestions here, if you keep all your questions in one place, so we don't have to "start from scratch" when answering each question.......

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whittier as base for Pr William Sound and glacier tour

Greetings: Apologies. Do not understand how my line of questioning branched out to other locations, as I started this dialogue about glacier/wildlife cruise preferences within "Whittier" forum, the replies were plentiful, and thought my subsequent replies and acknowledgements remained there. Nonethless, just looking for last advices regarding PWS tour vs Kenai Fjords tour, if I will subsequently take the Tracy Arm Fjord tour later in our trip when visiting Juneau. I hadn't shared this fact until now. Most earlier recommendations favored Kenai Fjords tour over PWS tour, if only one is possible. Is Kenai Fjords still the preference knowing I will take the Tracy Arm tour later during the two week trip? FJFOhio

4. Re: Whittier as base for Pr William Sound and glacier tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 04:15