We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

Which Bisbee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

We are going to Bisbee in a few weeks to spend one night. I'm terrified of bats, how much of an issue is this going to be when out walking at night?

(am thinking of Mackinac Island, Michigan, where they swoop right down around you all the time)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

If you weren't bothered by bats in Sedona, why would you be worried about Bisbee?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

There were bats in Sedona?!?!?!?!? EEEEEEEEEEEEKKK!!!!

We were in Sedona during December last year (when it snowed) and in February and June this year, but weren't in town after dark. Maybe that's why I didn't notice them.

Ugh. I'm so worked up now I'm freaking out, thinking about climbing under my desk for the rest of the day....

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

Get over it. You're making something out of nothing.

I sit on my back porch and watch dozens of bats flying around over my back yard every evening. There's nothing to fear. How many news accounts of bat attacks have you seen?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

Actually in the town where I grew up, we had a bat problem, 2 of my neighbors were bitten, another girl in town became seriously ill after being bitten by a bat that was sick. Now, I do not go out of my way to find them, as these people possibly did, however, when I do see them, I have a legitimate fear, just as anyone who is afraid of heights or spiders or snakes, I'm allowed to have my fear!! Be a little sensitive, sheesh.

Good thing you don't have a fear of them. Imagine how well you'd do if you had a fear of them and they were swarming around you, I bet it wouldn't be so easy as to "get over it".

I just ask because at Mackinac Island, literally you cannot walk down the street without them swooping at you, fluttering your hair, etc. Even people who aren't afraid of them are annoyed by them while strolling along the sidewalk, or trying to eat dinner at an outdoor cafe.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,175 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

Sorry. I didn't mean to be insensitive. I was just at Mackinac Island 2 weeks ago. I guess I just don't even notice the bats.

But seriuosly, try not to worry, because even though you've had personal incidents with them, it's a rare issue.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

I don't know about Bisbee, but currently when I go on evening walks in my Sedona neighborhood, I see bats flying around. Granted, they are flying around in the air just a few feet in front of and higher than me, but they never "swoop down" at me. They don't seem to pay any attention to me.

Hopefully they act well-behaved in Bisbee also :-), if there are any bats in Bisbee. But if you are nervous about them, just go inside if you start to see them. I can empathize with your fear. I certainly have fears of my own. I believe that most fear is comprised of fear of the unknown. Since you don't know for sure IF there are bats in Bisbee, that increases your fear. But realizing that you have options if there are bats there (like going inside a building) might help calm you.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

There are bats in Bisbee; I have seen them there. Some of the bats in Southern Arizona are migratory, so from October-March, there are fewer around. But at my house in Tucson I see some year-round, so I would assume the same is true in Bisbee. Where I live, they never fly near me. And they are only out after dark. I understand the fear. All I could suggest is not go out at night.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

Thanks, everyone. If I'm outside after dark, I usually just keep my focus low, and if I don't notice anything flying around, I'm cool for the night. However, when I see one flying what I consider to be "too low", then I can't focus on anything else, and that is when I freak out. Especially if I look up and see that a swarm has been flying overhead all night. That is definitely time to head inside. And as we are staying on the third floor of an old hotel in Bisbee, with a balcony, the windows will be kept shut, and I'll probably have my husband do a bat check before I go in the room.

I'm sure there will be a few, at least. I just wanted to be prepared for the worse in case they were as thick as they are in Mackinac. Hopefully this won't be the case. Definitely skipping the kartchner caverns tour though. I'm wondering about the Mine tour? I've been on a mine tour in Pennsylvania and was fine. Not sure about this one?

I wish I didn't have the silly fear, but what can I do? Now, bring on snake or spiders and I'm the coolest one in the room. Want me to go do cartwheels along the edge of a 40 story building? No problem. But one glance at a dark winged "environmentally friendly" flying wonder aka a bat, and I lose it. Ugh.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the world that is bat free? I'm sooooo wanting to travel there!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

I've been to both Karchner Caverns and the Queen Mine tour twice. Never seen any bats. If you are interested in seeing these sites, I would not skip them for fear of bats. At Karchner, I think there is a bat season and they close one of the rooms to the public during that time of year. I believe the bats only go into the cave at night anyway, and you will be there during the day. You might want to call them and ask about bats to ease your mind. If you like caves, this is a really good one to see.

Haven't heard a thing about bats at the mine.

I highly recommend seeing both places.

10. Re: Scared of Bats - Will I survive???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Bisbee