We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phoenix to sedona side trips

Which Cottonwood hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
phoenix to sedona side trips

Hello~ are there any interesting ghost/old mining/cowboy towns between Phoenix and Sedona? We will be leaving Phoenix on Sunday in early am on way to Sedona and my son wanted to check out possible ghost/mining town along the way.

9 replies to this topic
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

nothing to hookey or juvenile-he is 21!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

Jerome is near Sedona. It is a significantly historic town in AZ mining history as it was the largest source of silver in the world.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

If you have the time, and starting Phx early in the early am will make that possible, you can drive from Phoenix to Wickenburg to Prescott and over the mountains to Jerome before getting to Sedona. This makes a very nice drive.

desertusa.com/mag00/dec/stories/vulture.html

http://www.azjerome.com/

Tet

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,930 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

Are you spending more than one day in Sedona? You could either see Jerome on a detour west through Cottonwood on your way to Sedona, and then continue into Sedona the "back way" on Hwy 89A. It really adds little distance going to Sedona, but does add time, and would be about a 2 hour stop to see much.

Otherwise if you are staying in Sedona, you could make it a 1/2 day side trip from there.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

You are lucky to have some reponses from great destination experts already. This is a tourist's perspective. If you want a memorable and more exciting than usual drive and plan to spend an hour or two visiting someplace, my vote would be Jerome, driving in through the mountains from Prescott Valley. Jerome has some history as an old major mining town, and a semi-ghost town that is developing a lively art scene. Plus the sheer verticality of its hillside location is striking. We have now vacationed in Arizona a half dozen times and I have vivid memories of the drive and Jerome from our first visit.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

Definitely Jerome, there are some unique restaurants there as well (The Asylum is very good.) and the route Tet14 mentions above is one of my favorite drives in the whole state. Prescott is our former capital and the courthouse square and Whiskey Row are full of history. It is an all day trip this way, but if you schedule allows, go for it. If not, just head straight for Jerome on the way to Sedona and start reading ahead on the history you will see.

Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

I'm only seeing this question now, and thought I should post. I'm astounded that no one mentioned two National Monument sites just off I-17 in Camp Verde. Anytime I have visitors coming to the area, I encourage them to buy the annual National Park Pass. It will get you into any National Park, Monument or Historic site AND it serves as the parking pass for the Red Rocks areas in Sedona. If you don't have a National Park Pass, you'll have to buy a Red Rock pass JUST for Sedona.

The National Parks:

Montezuma's Castle and Montezuma Well in Camp Verde -- then drive into Sedona on 179. Take a drive tour day for a stop at Tuzigoot National Monument in Clarkdale, then through historic Clarkdale, up to Jerome.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,034 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

MeridaD, welcome to the forum. A simple search will show hundreds or even thousands of posts about those monuments.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: phoenix to sedona side trips

OP was asking for mining/ghosttowns

Reply to: phoenix to sedona side trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cottonwood