We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Decision to make.

Bari, Italy
2 posts
Save Topic
Big Decision to make.

Due to family in Tucson, my wife and I are considering retirement in Green Valley. We have visited there many times, twice a year for the last 10 years.

Need to know pros and cons of life in GV. We know about GVR, but need to know by residents the real scoop. help please, thanks and God Bless.

6 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,620 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Decision to make.

You need a realtor. This post will probably be removed.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Decision to make.

Agreeing; talk to a realtor. Also, try the forums at www.city-data.com.

seattle
Level Contributor
7 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Decision to make.

I have a vacation home there and am retiring too. It is a great place if you like to golf. GV is a wonderful community: safe, very social people, health oriented, quiet. Tucson is close enough if you need a bit more entertainment. Join groups, meet people. I have rented my home for a few years and almost every renter ended up buying in GV - enuff said.

A M
Green Valley...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Decision to make.

Review of 2741 E. Sawyer Road, Quail Creek, Green Valley, Arizona

My wife and I have rented at Quail Creek for the past several years and we have always enjoyed the activities and people at this wonderful resort. The houses, until this past year, have been wonderful with all the amenities one would expect in this upscale community

Due to a family illness our 6 month rental property this year was secured in April of 2014 (very late in the rental season) for November 1, 2014 through April 30, 2015. The homes we rented previously were already taken so we settled on the available house at 2741 E. Sawyer Road. We rented this house for a short time several years ago and were (at that time with a different owner) satisfied with the rental.

This brings us to April 2014. We signed a rental agreement with the new owners and had to pay the complete 6 months rent in advance (about $15,500.00) and a security deposit of $2370.00.

When we arrived on November 1, 2014, this “fully furnished” house contained the following items:

NO Toaster

NO Blender

NO Steak knives (there were three or four very small 3” X ½” knives that looked like they were obtained at a gas station as a gift for buying gas)</li>

Chipped coffee cups

NO butter dish

NO cleaning utensils (wire brush) for the grill

3 very small wine glasses

NO bowl large enough to make a salad for four or more people

NO pot large enough to boil water for spaghetti and other macaroni for dinner for 6 to 8 people or to steam vegetables

Four chairs for a table that sat at least 8 people (with several table extensions in the closet in the guest bedroom)

NO new water filter in the refrigerator (change filter light on)

A broken coffee pot

Only a very small baking dish (bought three larger ones to use when cooking

A poorly maintained microwave that had to be replaced during the first few weeks of our stay

Old very thin rug runners/matts that were rolled up and stored and replaced with new ones and then cleaned and returned to the floor when we departed Original linens, sheets and bed covers with a mildew order (same ones as when we were at this house several years earlier) – we bought new ones to use in both bedrooms during our stay - put the old ones back on when we left

NO new towels for the guest bathroom for our guests to use

We bought new comfortable covers for the outdoor furniture in that the existing ones were original and thin and worn (took new ones with us when we left)

Air conditioning stopped working for several hours but then later started up on it’s own – repair person fixed same

While the golf cart was in good condition and ran well, there was no place to keep a divot mix container so I bought one and installed it. This way the user of the cart can help to maintain a well-groomed and functional golf course. I left this on the cart when I moved out

We offered to leave everything we bought (or any individual item) at the house (along with the receipts of purchase) and asked the owners if they were interested in purchasing (at cost) any of the items for future renters. Four and one half months after we sent the original email we received an answering email saying they wanted the coffee pot (we later received a check for it).

In my opinion, this house seemed better suited for a week long camping trip then a six-month residence in an upscale community

....and by the way, before we moved out we had the entire house, including the rugs, professionally cleaned ... it cost us $240.00 ... I also scrubbed the garage floor for the third time and the rear outdoor living area and outside of the grill twice…when we received our deposit back $200.00 had been removed by the owners for cleaning the rugs... according to the owners there was a "blue" stain on an area rug and traffic stain on a runner...we never placed a foot on any of the runners... we never saw anything blue on a rug and have absolutely no recall of anything blue in the house that could have dropped on the area rug… It also needs to be noted that the day we moved out the professional who was being paid by the owner to inspect the house (as well as other things), completed her detailed inspection (including the rugs) and told us the house was spotless and actually cleaner then when we moved in 6 months earlier

We have rented a much different home in Quail Creek for next November through April and look forward to returning

A M
Green Valley...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Decision to make.

yes

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Decision to make.

If this place is listed through an online source, put a review there. This review will quickly drop down the list of posts and not likely to be seen for more than a day or two.

Reply to: Big Decision to make.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Green Valley
Recent Conversations