We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

Hi there,

We have flights booked to come on a trip to South Africa in November (arriving on 23rd November for 13 nights).

We have a daughter who will be 20 months old by this point, so obviously this is quite a large factor in what we can do!

I was thinking of firstly going to Hermanus as hoping that there may still be some Whales around. Thoughts?

In terms of places to stay, any recommendations in terms of really good guest houses?

What about Ocean Eleven, or the Marine Hotel, or the Sheraton Western Cape?

Then want to do a Safari - was thinking Kariega as this appears to be more kiddy friendly and they will do a drive and boat trip that she can come on before dropping her back prior to heading to see big 5.

Given the distances, thinking that flying there and back may be sensible? Thoughts? How long it is likely to take to drive from Cape Town to Kariega?

Or, alternative would be to fly up to Jo'burg to go to Pilanesberg which is also a sensible drive.... anybody got any views as to which may be the better option?

Then want to spend some time in Cape Town... Camps Bay I guess. Any suggestions for really good guest houses that are close to the sea front and restaurants?

Was also thinking of maybe a few nights at the Arabella Sheraton?

Finally, was wondering if worth going to Franshoek with a small child... guessing this may not be ideal place to take them.

Any thoughts, suggestions and help greatfully appreciated. Especially in terms of Safari with small child.

thanks.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,206 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

Cape Town to Kariega 9-10 hours drive. Unless you are planning on doing the Garden Route, you should fly.

Pilanesberg...
Level Contributor
436 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

howzit Matt, sure there will still be whales around. Can't help you with acc advice there , but i'm sure someone will. One of my clients mentioned an amazing place & i'll ask them where they stayed.

With the safari though, it depends what you want. Kariega is far more private and you will get the Safari feel there no problem. As you should fly up you might as well fly up to Jo'burg to go Pilanesberg though, but them i'm totally biased. Pilanesberg have more species & numbers but is also busier. You most definately do not want to be there when it is school holidays, so you will have to do this at the start of your trip. With Kariega you can go there anytime.

As for Cape Town i personally don't like the location of the Sheraton. I would rather stay at The Bay Hotel in Camps Bay. You have the beach right opposite and restaurants & shops right next door.

Franschoek is absolutely worth it. If you don't want to drive just get a driver to take you for the day. I would go past Stellenbosch, over the pass, stop at Boschendal and a few other places. You can do lunch at Franschoek. Anyway, your kid will probably be passed out most the time! If not you just stop and let her run/stumble around a bit.....If you want a name of a very highly rated Captour member/driver, just ask or of course you can drive yourself.

Enjoy your trip

scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

Hi MattCUK,

My husband and I stayed in Hermanus last October at the Villa Paradisio. It was walking distance to shops and places to eat and just round the corner from the sea.

Blanche made us very welcome and her 2 staff were very nice. It is tastefully decorated and very clean, there is off road parking which is locked at night. At the back of the guest house there is a lovely walled garden with swimming pool and sitting area.

Have a look on the net, I booked through rooms for africa, hope this was of some help.

From sootyscotland

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

Hello,

Hope you are still checking this. Doing a bit of browsing and came across this.

We have done South Africa 3 times with our young ones. First time with 22 month old son and back again several times with daughter 6 months old at one point. Absolutely recommed S. Africa with kids. The people are fantastic and really welcome kids even really good restaurants.

We stayed in Primi Seacastle apartments in Camps Bay for a week which is literally across road from beach with great restaurants and shops on the doorstep. It is great accommodation (we had one bedroom apartment), they have pool. There is a supermarket minutes away so you can stock your fridge with the various stuff you need and can order in takeaways etc. They had BBQ on patio so if your daughter is asleep you can still have a good night with a bottle of fantastic S.A wine and enjoy the view.

For safari I would head past Pilanesburg as it is busy (they do day trips from Sun City so I am sure will be really busy). If you carry on an hour or so more you get to Madekwe Game Reserve where there are quite a few great Lodges. Also it is maleria free there which is great for the little ones. We stayed at Madikwe River Lodge which provided babysitters and took the little ones on game drives. If you have a good budget check out Jaci's safari lodge that has total luxury and kids programmes.

Franschoek is beautiful. Stop on the way and visit Village at Spier - fantastic for kids, cheetah program so you can stroke one. Fantastic deli where you choose a picnic and eat in the grounds. Also a great African restaurant - outdoors called Moyo. My little ones ended up with faces painted and dancing with band that was playing.

Hope some of this helps. Let me know if you have any questions you think I can answer.

Have a fantastic trip.

London, UK
Level Contributor
59 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

IIRC, Spier will not let a child as young as 20 months in with the cheetah (and righly so). Just to save you a disappointment.

6. Re: Cape town / Safari holiday with small child - advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 10:16