We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shamwari or Gorah Elephant Camp

Gower, Wales
Level Contributor
19 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Shamwari or Gorah Elephant Camp

We are off to SA in November 2008. Have read some old forums on the parks but can anybody advise me of the best of the following two. Shamwari or Gorah.

We don't know which one is best. We would like to see the big 5.

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shamwari or Gorah Elephant Camp

Hi there,

same question, again... had the same problem, I personally decided to go with Gorah, and did not regret it! I asked the same question 1.5 years ago, so in essence this is my conclusion, even though I haven't been to Shamwari...

Gorah has more charm, is more authentic and has the better food but inferior game viewing (no giraffes and hippos)

Shamwari has better game viewing, but lodges though luxurious are not as good as Gorah....

When asked the same question in this forum 1.5 years ago, "Ilovemypets" recommended Gorah, so went with it. In addition I went to Schotia Game Reserve for their "Tooth & Claw" tour. If you decide to go Gorah and haven't been to a safari before, this is highly recommended. Small sympathetic family run private reserves, where you see a lot of free roaming animals, you won't find in Addo - all for a bargain.

When I asked in this forum again after my trip, this is the answer I got from another tripadvisor member:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293740-i9186-k894…

Hope it helps.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shamwari or Gorah Elephant Camp

Hard to compare. They are fairly different.

Would recommend time in both, if you can.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shamwari or Gorah Elephant Camp

The beauty of Gorah is that it has a huge stoep a patio which overlooks a waterhole which is a few metres away.

You can sit there all day and the animals will come to you.

It is ideal for less active people that don’t want to bounce around on Land Rovers.

I agree totally with Lamlee if you can I would have two nights at Gorah followed by Bayethe at Shamwari, as she says quite close to each other but very different.

Gower, Wales
Level Contributor
19 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shamwari or Gorah Elephant Camp

Many thanks both for your input.

You have been most helful. Now to decide.........

5. Re: Shamwari or Gorah Elephant Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 03:19