We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qeustions re tours in Addo/Schotia?

Dublin
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Qeustions re tours in Addo/Schotia?

I will be staying in a B&B outside Addo in the next few weeks for 2 nights.

On the first day I'll probably arrive at about 4/5 p.m. so I was thinking about doing a sundowner at 6 p.m. to 7.45 p. for R310 pp (includes snacks and drinks) or else a night safari at 8pm to 9.45 pm for R250 pp. Both of these are with Schotia game reserve.

For the following day Ive been quoted a full day Addo and Schotia experience with lunch and dinner included will be R1320.

Would anyone recommend the sundowner over the night safari (the Schotia version)? Any other suggestions for an evening tour would be welcome as well.

Is it worth doing the full day with schotia (that also includes Addo) or should I just do Addo myself and then do Schotia? Apparently the Schotia all day tour is done on a mini bus rather that a Jeep which might detract from the experience.

Any help would be great!

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Qeustions re tours in Addo/Schotia?

Hi there

I would suggest joining the Schotia early afternoon and evening Tooth and Claw tour this option offers wonderful opportunities for viewing Lions. Then spend your next day enjoying morning and afternoon game drives in the national park. Addo has great routes through the park which are easy and very special to enjoy in your own hire vehicle.

Personal I feel that Schotia evening programs offer better game viewing opportunities then the day tours, but that's just my experience.

Have a wonderful trip and remember it's always best to prebook your activities at these establishments.

The Sanparks website shows the game drives offered inside the park and has a wealth of information http://www.sanparks.org/.

Have a fantastic trip!

Kate de Roubaix

Tour Manager

Truly Africa Tours

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qeustions re tours in Addo/Schotia?

Hi TADublin,

I'm sorry if I'm a little confused, and maybe you can help clarify ...

I used to freelance at Schotia (for four years or so), and did the Addo/Schotia trips pretty often.

The prices you've indicated re sundowner trips and night safaris seem to refer to the drives offered by SANParks, and not to the Schotia products. I'm not aware of Schotia offering sundowner drives or night drives of that nature.

I think the sundowner trip with SANParks would give you more value than the night safari.

The Tooth and Claw evening safari offered by Schotia is really exceptional, and well worth it (as Kate has mentioned).

My personal opinion is that you would get more personal value if you self-drive Addo in the morning and then go on to Schotia for the late afternoon. I always thought (despite working there) that the Addo portion tended to be a little rushed, because the lunch schedule took greater priority (sorry for the candour). You tend to operate on other people's schedules, whereas if you self-drive you can enjoy Addo to its fullest (that's assuming you have independent transport).

If you want to get the full value of Addo, you might find it worthwhile to take one open-vehicle safari in Addo to orientate yourself, and then do a self-drive. Check the sightings board at reception to give you an indication of where you may find animals, and don't be shy to chat with other folk checking it (they are a wealth of information).

There's no real difference between doing the Schotia trip in a mini-bus (actually quite a big vehicle) and the open vehicles in Addo. You'll still get to see the same routes, although the SANParks guides are usually more clued up on the most recent sightings. I always prefer open vehicles where possible.

Addo's a fantastic park, and Schotia an excellent supplement to it.

If you self-drive to Schotia, please be cautious driving back to Addo at night. Lots of creatures in the roads.

I don't know which B&B you're staying at, but some of them offer their own trips to Addo on open vehicles (although I gather that it isn't one of those - it would be worth enquiring).

Anyway, I hope this might help.

Russell - Green Bushpig Safaris

Edited: 24 October 2011, 23:29
3. Re: Qeustions re tours in Addo/Schotia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 11:20