We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shamwari or Pumba?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
50 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Shamwari or Pumba?

Hi, we are going with our 3 kids (the youngest is 2 and half years old) to Eastern Cape in August (I know, prob not the best period, but no choice). We are planning to spend a couple of days in a private reserve. We were wondering about Shamwari and Pumba. We would choose the first one more for the size of the reserve and the quality of service. Pumba is interesting because they offer the possibility to rent a "private" car for the family, to allow us bringing the smallest one with us on the game drive, something that seems not possible at Shamwari.

Any advice or suggestion? Many Thanks!!!

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shamwari or Pumba?

it is not unusual for children not to be allowed on safari so your choice may be limited anyway.

I am sure I have read on TA questions about taking little ones to the reserves and there have been recommendations. Try using the search function and type in something along the lines 'children on safari' .

Have you looked at Addo? you can self drive there and it may offer the flexibility you may need with a 2 year old. I believe the private reserves can be rigid with their timetable for dining and drives.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
50 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shamwari or Pumba?

Gem, thank you for your reply.

As you suggest, we'll be going to Addo in any case. But we wanted to try a private reserve as well. I have been reading about children on safari and I know how private reserves can be strict.

But I realize that maybe my question was not clear enough...

The question is: is there indeed a huge difference between a large reserve like Shamwari and a smaller one like Pumba that justifies leaving our little one with a baby-sitter? Or the quality of game drive is basically the same, therefore it's just a question of our own choice?

Edited: 07 April 2012, 08:24
Port Alfred
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shamwari or Pumba?

I think you need to speak to both Reserves as I stand corrected but don't think they allow children under 12 on game drives, for various reasons. Not ideal to take a 2 year old to either Reserve. Don't know that they supply baby sitters either. Shamwari which I have been to does not allow children in some of its camps. At Shamwari the drives are all organised by rangers, Pumba as well, don't think you will be allowed to drive yourself.

4. Re: Shamwari or Pumba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:41