We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

Saltaire, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

In October/November, I am taking my 6 year old daughter to South Africa, for a special trip. One that is a family tradition. I took her brothers when they were 6, and it had a very positive impact on them. For four nights I will take her to a Western Cape reserve. With the boys, I stayed at Ecca Lodge which was great, though I have to say my last trip there in Oct 2010, I felt it really wasn't as good as the previous 2 trips there. I realise now it was at the point of ending its relationship with "andbeyond" - so wonder whether this was anything to do with it.

Has anyone been there recently, and if so how was it.

The other option is Sarili lodge in Shamwari. Has anyone been there? (with children?) I am a little stuck as I have a soft spot for Kwandwe - but wondered whether Sarili might be a good alternative option.

I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I am finding it hard to make a decision on this, and need to make a choice really soon.

Thank you so much

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

There are several recent reviews from Kwandwe Ecca Lodge here.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g471862-d471985…

Saltaire, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

Lamlee thank you I have read them, just wondering about comparison with Sarili. I don't know Shamwari at all, and it would be interesting to compare the experience.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

Hi there

You can also try Kariega Private Game Reserve, they are also very child friendly.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

Shamwari is a very special experience.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

I have just returned from two nights at Shamwari, having visited many other game reserves. From my experience I would not hesitate to go to Shamwari first. They have plenty of game, a lodge only for families and children, and would no doubt be totally geared up to help make the best experience for you and your young daughter. i really cannot praise them enough, they were superb.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

Saril is a thatched lodge with only 5 rooms, the river facing ones are the best option although they are a little more expensive.

There is a large deck with lovely views and it is built directly above Bushmans River.

It is on a much smaller scale that Kwandwe Ecca and is definitely a good option with children and better if it is parents with small children who want there own room as the rooms are in one lodge and adjacent.

For me if you want separate rooms Ecca lodge doesn’t work the rooms are in the bush and too far apart.

Colin eastcapetours.com

Shamwari is great, and I really like Sarili, it would be good for you to be able compare and to report back and let us all know.

Saltaire, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

Thank you for your comments. Every one. Colin that is really clear. I wish I had seen it before. I have decided to book Ecca again (this was before) I read yours Colin. As it is just myself and my 6 year old daughter, I felt the fact you have so much space (and privacy) in the lodge at Ecca it was a good thing. At Ecca, you have two huge rooms, and bath room. The living area can be turned into the childrens bedroom (sofa beds) as it is Poppy will be with me.

Thank you again. Hope fully there will be another time I can sample Sarili.

Port Elizabeth
Level Contributor
314 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

We have 3 outstanding 5 star reserves

Pumba is also lovely, Water Lodge is one of the best the rooms have large decks overlooking lake Kariega, I have seen elephants taking a swim many times.

I am asked the question as to which is the best often and I say it is like comparing an Audi a BMW and a Mercedes, they are all great.

Colin eastcapetours.com

9. Re: Sarili lodge, Shamwari, or Ecas Lodge, Kwandwe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:40