We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Safari to choose?

G57
West Midlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Which Safari to choose?

My husband and I are going to SA next January. We would like to go on Safari ( our 1st) in Eastern Cape because of it being malaria free. We want the following:

a) good animal viewing....with as many animals as possible

b)lovely accommodation and meals with good views,( preferably without little children) and a swim pool or plunge pool if poss.

We are prepared to pay expensive rates if the holiday/ place/ experience is worth it. We are considering Shamwari...Pumba....Kwandwe. Which would be the best for us ?

Thank you in advance for your kindness and time

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Safari to choose?

Hi there

I would probably say Kwandwe, Shamwari, Pumba, in this order. If you have time and would like to spend time in Addo Elephant National Park itself, Gorah is highly recommended, it is probably exactly what you are looking for. A private concession within the NP. However, no giraffes or hippos, but the most charming place I have been to. There is nothing like hearing a lion roar in your luxury tent in the middle of the night.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Safari to choose?

Le you can go to Madikwe or in Privat game reserve Welgevonden, both not in the Eastern cape, but there you will have the big 5 and No Malaria too.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Safari to choose?

Good advice above, you will not be disappointed with Shamwari, Kwandwe or Gorah. Another lodge with nice views is Kuzuko Lodge in the far north-western corner of greater Addo. I like the scenery and remoteness of this lodge.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Safari to choose?

I think it depends when in January you would like to visit.

If it isa after the 10th I would look at Pumba Private Game Reserve astthey have a pay 2 stay 3 offer for R9,500 per person.

Water Lodge fits your requirements exactly it has lovely views across Lake Kariega and all the suites have plunge pools.

I also suggest you visit Addo National Park

Colin owner at Eastcapetours.

G57
West Midlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Safari to choose?

Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply.

You are not the first to mention Addo

a) does it have the opportunity to stay somewhere 'special'?..Have heard people do self drives there so wonder if it is like an English Safari Park?

b)Would it be worth doing as an add on( after a visit to another private Game Reserve) or as an alternative.

Once again thankyou for taking the time and trouble to reply. Looking forward to hearing from you.

London england
Level Contributor
243 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Safari to choose?

We went to Bayethe in Shamwari and were not disappointed - if you choose the superior tent, you will have your own private plunge pool.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Safari to choose?

LOL ... Addo is nothing like our safari parks ;0) I also recommend Shamwari, after we left there we went to Addo so if you have time do both.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Safari to choose?

Addo is lovely. You have the choice of cheap self catering accommodation and a few private lodges, Gorah being the top one. sanparks.org.za/parks/addo/camps/concessions/

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Safari to choose?

I answer the question about are the game reserves like visiting a zoo or a safari park quite often.

Bewdley, West Midlands safari park is 81 hectares, Pumba safaris a medium size big 5 reserve is 8,700 hectares, Shamwari 25,000 and the Addo National Park 164,000 so as Braai season rightly says rightly says Lol

Interestingly West Midland Safari Park entrance fee is £ 17.99 around R 325 the Addo National Park entrance fee is R 200 around £ 11.50 !!!

Colin owner Eastcapetours.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
310 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Safari to choose?

Take a look at this clip from lions at Shamwari.

Does it look like a zoo !!!

africageographic.com/blog/…

Colin owner of Eastcapetours.