We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

Which Grahamstown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durban...
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

Just in case anyone wanted some advice as to which route to take from Durban to Grahamstown. The N2 although shorter in kilometers has a lot of heavy vehicles and stop go road works.

We travel at least twice a year by road and go the following route.

Port Shepstone to Kokstad, Matatiele, Mount Fletcher, Maclear, Ugie, Eliot,Cala, Lady Frere,Queenstown,Whittlesea, Fort Beaufort, Grahamstown.

This route is as good if not better than the N2. A few large potholes just after Maclear. Not too many speed traps but make sure you stick to the speed limit through the towns:) We did it in 9.5hrs with one stop for petrol in Maclear.

7 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

We did the N2 so it's good to know there's a better route, thanks.

Grahamstown, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

Thanks for recommending that route, it is the one I also tell all my guests coming to Grahamstown and we have travelled it ourselves and definitely a scenic option too.

Durban...
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

Your welcome, with three sons at Rhodes University in Grahamstown i always dreaded doing the road trip, but since finding this scenic route it's not so bad. We have also done the trip over two days by stopping at Maclear and staying at Maclear Manor : )

Edited: 23 October 2013, 09:42
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

That's good to know. Can anyone tell me whether this route accommodates small vehicles?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

Be careful, the first posts are 3 years old and the roadworks situation is changed.

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

Hi. I am driving for the first time from Durban to Grahamstown. We are leaving Friday 10 Feb but only at 15h00 so planned on stopping over at Maclear and then on to Grahamstown. Is the route mentioned in the 1st post still the better way to come? I would like to do the "fastest" route possible.

Thanks

Sue

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown

Don't know if the info is still up to date, but are you happy to drive the last hour in the dark to reach Maclear if you only leave at 3pm?

Reply to: Best route from Durban to Grahamstown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grahamstown