We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Elizabeth and environs - safety walking/hiking alone

Which Port Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
23 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Port Elizabeth and environs - safety walking/hiking alone

Hi,

My wife and I will be in Port Elizabeth (actually Summerstrand I believe) for a conference in July. I will be mostly on my own during the days as she attends the conference.

I was expecting that I could do some city exploration, boardwalk walking, and also hit some of the nearby parks/refuges to go hiking for bird/wildlife viewing.

So, does that seem sensible (during the day)? I could probably hitch up with a tour for walking central (historical) PE. How about hiking in Zwartkops Nature Reserve or Cape Recife? Or if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
82 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Elizabeth and environs - safety walking/hiking alone

Port Elizabeth is a very safe city. I've stayed in the Holiday Inn on the beachfront many, many times and have walked along the boardwalk day and night without problems. You can take a drive out to Schoenmakerskop which is a nice village adjacent to a nature reserve with enjoyable walks. Of course Addo Elephant Park is definitely worth a visit, especially since the game (and the elephants) are quite tame.

nelsonmandelabaytourism.co.za has a lot of information for you.

2. Re: Port Elizabeth and environs - safety walking/hiking alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 10:32
Get answers to your questions about Port Elizabeth