We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnarvon Dale

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Carnarvon Dale

Hi everyone!

I had posted on the Cape Town forum in error and was advised by one of the experts to repost here. I just copied and pasted, sorry it's hard to read but it was the only way I knew how to do it.

Wondering if anybody here has any advice for me?

Thank you all.

-Surf:)

Happy New Year!

2weeksnextyear

Nova Scotia, Canada

Forum posts: 66

Travel map pins: 16 Travel maps show where members have been and are going. Start your own!

More about 2weeksnextyear...

?

Posted on: 9:06 pm, yesterday Save

Hello and Happy New Year.

Can anyone tell me about this place? We would like to spend 2-3 nights here and they have fantastic rates. All food, drinks and 2 game activites a day for only 1300R each. We have to be budget conscience and this seems to be a great bang for our buck.

Is it a nice, clean place and do we get to see the same things that the more expensive Amakhala lodge guests will see??

Can we view game from the house itself?

This will be after 2-3 days in Addo in safari tents (cool!) where we will do game drives and self drives as well.

Thanks very much!

Report as inappropriate

macsym

Cape Town

Forum posts: 596

Travel map pins: 311 Travel maps show where members have been and are going. Start your own!

destination expert

for Cape Town

More about macsym...

Posted on: 12:24 am, today Save

Try posting this enquiry on the Port Elizabeth forum as Carnarvon Dale is part of Amakhala which is about 50k from PE. It is a 3 star graded establishment and has 3 rooms. Here is one of several sites which gives details of the establishment: http://www.places.co.za/html/9499.html

Report as inappropriate

lamlee

Port Elizabeth

Forum posts: 2,317

Travel map pins: 87 Travel maps show where members have been and are going. Start your own!

destination expert

for South Africa

More about lamlee...

Posted on: 5:47 am, today Save

Your game drives will traverse the same area as the other lodges.

R1300 is extremely reasonable as their day trips (no accommodation) costs R980.

It might be cheap for 1 of the following reasons

1. This is not a purpose built lodge, but a converted farm house. Maybe the rooms are quite small? I cant imagine it having private plunge pools, indoor and outdoor showers, enormous baths, designer furniture etc.

2. Maybe the position is not that good. I suspect it could be close to the road (N2). This can be checked on Google Earth as they have the co-ordinates on the website.

www.amakhala.co.za/index.php…

Report as inappropriate

2weeksnextyear

Nova Scotia, Canada

Forum posts: 66

Travel map pins: 16 Travel maps show where members have been and are going. Start your own!

?

More about 2weeksnextyear...

Posted on: 9:48 am, today Save

Thank you both for replying.

I doubt that it has all those goodies you mentioned...at that low price! I checked it out on different websites and it only shows a couple of pics, same ones.

Perhaps there is another spot, with better surroundings, that you might be able to recommend? (Keeping in mind, of course, a lower budget). WE really would like to do a private safari for a couple of days, in addition to Addo. Perhaps we could up the budget a bit for this?

Thanks both of you,

eastern cape
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnarvon Dale

replyed to you on the Cape Town Forum!!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnarvon Dale

Thank you sooo much, EasternCapeJulie!

3. Re: Carnarvon Dale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 07:17