We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

Which Port Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
731 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

We are looking for a one day/night game reserve during the world cup next summer. i already have a quote from Lalibela. i am waiting for one from Shamwari. what are your thoughts on these two? will we be able to see the big 5? or can you recommend others?

thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

I have stayed at Lalibela and saw 4 of the Big 5. We stayed in one of the tree top tents and it was very good. The food was ok but not fantastic by south african standards. When we went to Eastern Cape, Shamwari was out of our price range. If I ever return to the Eastern Cape, I will stay at Addo though. We did a day trip there from PE and went on one of the organised drives. It was amazing. We got really close to lions and the herds of elephants are unbelievable. So much cheaper than the private reserves

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
57 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

If the choice is Shamwari or Lalibela, this is my opinion as I have stayed at both.

The two reserves are managed and run on very similar lines as there are a few staff who work at Lalibela who used to work at Shamwari.

The landscape are very similar and so are the animals.

Shamwari is a bit more luxury than Lalibela, but you pay for the difference. Probably in the range of double.

If price isn't a problem, then go to Shamwari. They are outstanding. But Lalibela won't let you down if you choose them either.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

Hi.

I prefer Shamwari, but agree that Addo is a better option than both of them. There are a number of private lodges on the Park that would compete very favourably on the luxury front. Nguni River Lodge being one of the most luxurious venues with a brilliant setting I've ever visited.

Rob. Satpack Travel.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
731 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

which place would have a better chance of seeing lions and rhinos? or is it all the same?

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

Hi. In my opinion it's pretty even in both places. You should see Lions and you should see Rhinos at both places. I guess your chances are less at Addo for the same reason it is easier to see polar bears in the artic than it is in the zoo, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go there. Rob

6. Re: Shamwari or Lalibela or ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Port Elizabeth