We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic en-route Port Elizabeth to George

Zululand, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic en-route Port Elizabeth to George

I'm travelling down to George with 2 small kids and have booked to land at PE (all flights to George fully booked!) now I've heard the road works are so bad it takes 5-6 hours ....any one know if that's true?

If so, any suggestions for a place to stop half way with the kids and give them a 2-3 hour break around midday?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic en-route Port Elizabeth to George

No roadworks between George and Tsitsikama, stop in Tsitsikama at Storms River, or even better Knysna. There are roadworks on the R102 road between Tsitikama and Plett

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic en-route Port Elizabeth to George

Hi Mnandi,

I travelled that route yesterday (N2), and although there were some roadworks, they're pretty much in the finishing stages, and there were no delays (although that can change). It took us about 1 hour, 45 minutes PE to Storms River, and then another hour or so to Knysna. Another hour to George.

Count on about 4-5 hours driving time, and you should be fine (about 350kms). The road is in great condition.

You can look at stopping at Monkeyland or Birds of Eden, or Tenikwa Wildlife Sanctuary at the Crags (near Plett), or at Knysna (maybe visit the heads and do a walk there). There's also a puzzle park about 10kms Plett (Tsitsikamma direction), but I don't know much about it.

3. Re: Traffic en-route Port Elizabeth to George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 05:17