We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuzuko Lodge v Kareiga Main Lodge

Which Port Elizabeth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harpenden
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kuzuko Lodge v Kareiga Main Lodge

Hi

We're planning a safari on the Eastern cape with our kids (age 11 and 8) in April and have narrowed our search down to Kuzuko Lodge or Kareiga Main Lodge.

Kuzuko is half the price because children stay free of charge, but I've seen reports that there aren't all that many animals to be seen in that area.

Has anyone any experience of either place - especially Kuzuko? My wallet's saying Kuzuko (and I particularly like the fact it's been set up to benefit the local community) but we also want to see plenty of wildlife after travelling so far so it'd be great to hear from anyone who's stayed there to find out what the abundance of animals is like.

This is our first safari so it's not essential we see all of the Big 5, we just want to enjoy the experience of seeing different animals.

Hope to hear from as many people as possible.

Many thanks!

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuzuko Lodge v Kareiga Main Lodge

Kuzuko is fantastic. Beautiful lodge with a stunning view over the greater Addo National Park, and very friendly people. They do research on lions and cheetahs (some animals have radio collars) so you have a very good chance of seeing these beautiful cats. Plenty of other animals around as well, including elephants, buffalos and rhinos (rhinos are not seen very often), although perhaps not as numerous as the main part of Addo because the area is more dry than the main part of Addo. But much more of a remote wilderness feeling which you don't get in main Addo.

Kariega is also nice but very different. A much smaller reserve, only 9000 hectares so some would say the safari experience here feels a little artificial. I have not personally stayed at Kariega Main lodge so can't comment in detail. If you choose Kariega let us know how it was please. If you choose Kuzuko, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Keep in mind it is a good two and a half hour drive from Port Elizabeth.

Have fun!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Harpenden
Level Contributor
51 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuzuko Lodge v Kareiga Main Lodge

Thanks very much for your reply. Kuzuko sounds lovely but I didn't realise it was quite so remote. Is it safe driving there?

3. Re: Kuzuko Lodge v Kareiga Main Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 07:34
Get answers to your questions about Port Elizabeth